It was firstly in limited expositive spaces; in 1991 it was moved to the current location after having recovered the pre-existing infrastructures, in an area of 50 thousand m.sq. with wide boulevards, extensive green areas and building that were used for the didactic activities of the Motorization Military School.
There are more than three hundred vehicles: civil and military vintage cars and trucks, sixty vehicles between trucked and armoured vehicles and sixty vintage motorcycles. Among the six exhibition pavilions there is the pavilion of the "Gold Medal Arturo Mercanti" with the Management Office, an archive-library that conserves datasheets on motor vehicles of the Army (from the origins to present) as well as photographic material, documents and a wall map showing the dynamic manoeuvre carried out by General Cadorna in Trentino in 1916.
Along with some animal-drawn carts of 1914 and 1916, the Museum exhibits vehicles of great value and historical importance such as trucks Fiat 18 BL, Fiat 15 Ter and Spa 38, two light airplanes Piper L 18 and L 21 B, a Fiat 501 Torpedo, a fast cart L3, a cart M 15-42 and a cart P40, a rare armoured Lancia Astura Lince of 1942, a truck Spa Dovunque 35, a Fiat 513 model 4 of 1910 used by Vittorio Emanuele III in his movements to the front of the First World War and the famous ambulance of the film "A Farewell to Arms", Fiat Tipo 2 of 1910.
The Cecchignola area is in the southern outskirts of Rome, near the district of Eur where you can visit the Museum of the Roman Civilization, the Palace of the Labour Civilization and the Church of Saints Peter and Paul.