Lieutenant General Luigi Francesco DE LEVERANO was born in Lecce on 25th
May 1958. He joined up the Army in 1976 attending the 158th
Course at the Military Academy of Modena and the Application School of Turin (1976 – 1980).
At the end of his studies (1980) he was moved to the “Leonessa” Battalion of Civitavecchia where, with the rank of First Lieutenant, he served as platoon Commander in the areas of Irpinia and Basilicata hit by earthquake (1980 – 1981); later, with the rank of Captain, he was company Commander until December 1986.
In January 1987 he was moved to the Signals Inspectorate where he served as Attaché and later as Chief of the Laws and Rules Section until September 1990.
From July 1991 to August 1996 he was assigned to the General Staff of the Army as Attaché to the 1st
Section of RESTAV Office, where he was promoted Major, and later to the 11th
Signals Regiment in Civitavecchia where, in the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, he was the Commander of the “Leonessa” Battalion.
After one year he returned to the General Staff of the Army where he served as Chief of the 1st
Section of RESTAV Office; then he was Chief of the 1st
Section of the Juridical Affairs Office.
Promoted Colonel, until July 2002 he was Commander of the 235th
In August 2002 he was moved again to the General Staff of the Army where he became Chief of the Recruitment, Status and Promotion Office and since January 2005 he was appointed Chief of Recruitment Office (SME – RAGEP).
In July 2006, as Brigadier General, he was Deputy Commander of Italian Contingent in Iraq and then the Commander of the “Sassari” Mechanized Brigade, until July 2007.
Later he was moved to the Cabinet of the Minister of Defence as Deputy Chief of Cabinet, until January 2011.
After he was promoted Major General, until January 2013 he was Chief of the General Office of the Chief of Defence General Staff.
In January 2013 he was moved again to the Cabinet of the Minister of Defence where he was Chief of Cabinet from 22nd
May to 23rd
June 2014 and from 16th
January 2015 to 10th
March 2015, maintaining the position of Deputy Chief of Cabinet.
Promoted Lieutenant General, from 20th
July 2015 to 4th
July 2016 he was the Commander of the 2nd
Operational Defence Forces Command in San Giorgio a Cremano.
July 2016 to 30th
September he assumed the position of Commander of the Southern Interregional Defence Forces in Naples.
October 2016 to 1st
February 2018 he became Commander of the Southern Operational Defence Forces, at the dependencies of the Chief of General Staff of the Army.
February 2018 he became the Logistic Commander of the Army.
He has also performed other duties as:
- Member of the decisional Boarding for the evaluation of personnel to include in the Completion Forces – Selected Reserve;
- Tutor for Doctorate in Strategic Science at the University in Turin;
- Member of the Commission for the administrative-accounting test, constituted at the Central Committee of the Italian Red Cross;
- Member of the Technical Table for the connection and the coordination for the implementation of dispositions in terms of victims of criminal actions and their survived families, instituted by DCPM n.22/2008;
- Member of the Working Group for the revision on peace and war military penal laws;
- Member of the government Commission for the implementation of dispositions to the Agreement between Italy and the Holy See signed on 18th February 1984 and approved by law on 25th March 1985, n.121;
- Project Officer for the realization/attunement/implementation of the available areas in the “square” of Naples (with reference to “Palazzo Salerno” and the district with the “Calò”, “Minucci”, “Marselli” and “Albricci” Stadium Barracks.
He has carried out:
- lectureships about women in the Armed Forces (juridical status, promotion, employment, maternity leave, prospects) in the framework of the Course in Military History at the Political Science Faculty of the University of Studies in Florence, in the academic year 2011-2012;
- lectureships at the University of Studies “Tor Vergata” about “Organization and tasks of the Armed Forces”, in the framework of the University Specialized Course in “Journalism for reporters in crises areas;
- lectureships at the Free University Maria SS. About “International missions of the Armed Forces – inclusion of women: the first ten years”, in the framework of a Master in “Experts in International Policies and Relations” at the Faculty of Economic Political Sciences and of Modern Languages, in the academic year 2012-2013.
He has collaborated with the “Specchio Economico” Magazine and published the following articles:
- “Il Riallineamento é una realtà”, “…La chiamano mini naja”, “Ha dieci anni e non li dimostra” in Rivista Militare;
- “La specificità della condizione militare”, “La formula del giuramento”, “3P: Professionalità, Professionalizzazione, Professionisti”, “Specificità: vantaggio o svantaggio?”, “In nome del Comitato dei Capi”.
He has carried out the following Courses:
- Informative session for Officers of electronic war;
- 23rd Course for “I” Officers of battalion/group;
- 8th English Course;
- 115th General Staff Course;
- 115th General Staff High Course;
- NATO Joint Service Course for EW Planning and Analysis in Exercise;
- 36th Session of International Organisms Italian School;
- Master in European Studies at the “Alcide De Gasperi” Institute;
- Proficiency Course in journalism for reporters in areas of crises “M.CUTULI”.
He earned a University Degree and a Master in Strategic Sciences at the University in Turin and in Political Sciences at the University in Trieste. He speaks English, Spanish and French.
For his service he was awarded with the following decorations:
- Grand Officer of the Order to the Republic Merit;
- Cross of Grand Officer with swords to Malta Merit of the Sovereign Order of Malta;
- Maurician Medal to the Merit of ten Lustrums of Military Career;
- Golden Medal to the Merit of the Italian Red Cross;
- Bronze Medal to the Merit of the Italian Red Cross;
- Golden Medal for Long Command;
- Golden Cross for Long Military Service;
- Joint Forces Honour Cross of the Defence General Staff;
- Commemorative Cross for Peace Operations (SFOR);
- Commemorative Cross for activities of international rescue (Ancient Babylon / X in Iraq);
- Bronze Commemorative Medal for rescue operations in favour of populations hit by earthquake in Irpinia and Basilicata;
- Cross with swords of the Merit to the Malta Merit;
- Decoration of Knight of the Pontifical Equestrian Order of Saint Sylvester Pope;
- Decoration of the Sacre Constantinian Order of Saint George;
- Commemorative Cross for operations of safety of free institutions and maintenance of the public order (“Safe Streets” Operation).
In February 2017 the French Ambassador in Italy gave him the decoration as Officer of the Order to the Merit of the French Republic.
General DE LEVERANO is married with Mrs. Flavia BOTTIONI and he has got a son, Adriano. He is Lieutenant General since 1st