The "Pinerolo" Brigade was constituted on 13th November 1821 on the 1st and 2nd Regiments that became the 13th and 14th in 1839.
Before that period the Brigade existed since 1815 with the name of "Saluzzo" and organized in two battalions, one of them derived from the "Savoiardo" Regiment of 1672. In 1871 it was dissolved like all the permanent brigades and was reconstituted in 1881 with 13th and 14th Regiments.
For effect of the law 11th March 1926 about the reorganization of the Army, it became 24th Infantry Brigade including the 225th "Arezzo" Regiment; the Brigade and the 18th Artillery Regiment became part of the 24th Land Military Division of Chieti. In 1934 this unit was named 24th "Gran Sasso" Infantry Division, extended also to the Brigade.
In 1939 the 24th "Pinerolo" Infantry Division was formed with the 13th and 14th Infantry and the 18th Artillery; it was dissolved on 8th September 1943.
Recognized on 15th April 1952 in Bari as "Pinerolo" Infantry Division, it included the 9th and 13th Infantry Regiments, the 14th Artillery Regiment for Campaign, an Engineer Company and a Connection Company. On 1st September 1962 it became "Pinerolo" Infantry Brigade with the 9th "Bari" Infantry Regiment, the 61st Armoured Battalion, the "Pinerolo" Artillery Group for Campaign, a Pioneers Engineer Company and a Signals Company.
With the reorganization of the Army, since 1st November 1975 it was named "Pinerolo" Motorized Brigade including in its ranks the 9th "Bari", 13th "Valbella" and 231st "Avellino" Infantry Battalions, the 67th "Fagaré" Bersaglieri Battalion, the 60th "M.O. Locatelli" Armoured Battalion, the 47th "Gargano" Artillery Group for Campaign and the "Pinerolo" Logistics Battalion. It changed again its components on 1st February 1979 becoming "Pinerolo" Mechanized Brigade.
After having become Armoured Brigade in 1997 with the reorganization of the Armed Force, it changed again its components including the Command, the Command and Tactical Supports Unit, the 9th "Bari" Infantry Regiment, the 7th Bersaglieri Regiment, the 31st and 133rd Tanks Regiments, the 2nd "Potenza" Heavy Field Artillery Group (2nd self-propelled Artillery Regiment for Campaign in 1993), the 47th "Salento" Battalion and the "Pinerolo" Logistics Battalion.
The organization chart of the Brigade changed again at the end of the '90s when the 131st Artillery, from the "Centauro", substituted the 2nd. Later also the 131st was substituted by the 21st "Trieste" of the "Friuli" Brigade. Meanwhile the 133rd Tanks Regiment was dissolved; since 2001 the 11th Engineer Regiment and the 82nd "Turin" Infantry Regiment of the "Ariete" Brigade entered the ranks of the Brigade.
On 1st January 2011 it gave the Cavalry School the 31st Tanks Regiment and since 1st October 2011 it has been renamed "Pinerolo" Mechanized Brigade.