"Ictu impetuque primus"
On 16th April 1861 the Bersaglieri Command of the 1st Army Corps was constituted, including six Battalions that participated in the First War of Independence (1848-1849), in the Second War of Independence (1859) and in the War of Crimea (1855-1856). On 31st December 1861 the Great Unit was named 1st Bersaglieri Regiment, participating in the Third War of Independence (1866) and in the Campaign of Eritrea (1887-1888, 1895-1896). In the earliest last century, it participated in the Italian-Turkish War (1911-1912) and in the First World War.
In June 1940 the Regiment participated in the Second World War, on the western front, in Albania and in southern France, before being dissolved on 8th September 1943.
Reconstituted on 1st January 1953, it firstly became part of the "Pozzuolo del Friuli" Armoured Division, then of the "Grenadiers of Sardinia" Division and finally of the "Centauro" Armoured Division. Reduced to a battalion on 31st October 1976, after the reorganization of the Army, as 1st "La Marmora" Bersaglieri Battalion, it was later reconstituted as a regiment on 18th September 1995.
Incorporated in the "Grenadiers of Sardinia" Mechanized Brigade, it enetered the 2nd Command of the Defence Forces. The Regiment participated in the rescue operations after the earthquakes in Irpinia in November 1980, on the Umbria-Marche Apennine in September 1997 and March 1998, as well as in the "Partenope 2" (From July 1997 to June 1998) and "Sicialian Vespers" Operations.
Reduced in the number of personnel, it was dissolved in 2000 and its War Flag was given to the Commander of the "Grenadiers of Sardinia" Mechanized Brigade.
On 22 February it was reconstituted in Cosenza, by transformation of the preexistent 18th Bersaglieri Regiment.