It descends from the 4th Great Military Command instituted in Bologna by Decree of 25th March 1860 with territorial functions; in case of war it can become an Army Corps command. Under its jurisdiction there is the territory between the Panaro and Taullo rivers. It was dissolved in 1867 when the dependent divisions became independent.
On 15th August 1870 a special Corps, called 4th Army Corps, was formed for the campaign of Rome but on 9th October it was dissolved; in January 1871 the Army General Command was constituted in Rome. In 1873 the 4th General Command was instituted and since 22nd January 1877 it has become 4th Army Corps, up to September 1943.
In 1939-1940 the new Alpine Divisions were included in an Alpine Army Corps. In 1941 (May-June), on the Greek front, the 26th Army Corps was named Alpine Army Corps with two alpine divisions at its dependencies. In 1942 the Alpine Army Corps was reconstituted with three alpine divisions, operating in Russia. It was dissolved on 1st March 1943.
On 1st May 1945 the 4th Territorial Military Command was constituted in Bolzano, substituted on 1st May 1952 by the Command of the 4th Army Corps.
On 1st January 1973 it became 4th Alpine Army Corps; after the reorganization of 1975 it was renamed "Command of the 4th Alpine Army Corps.
After the implementation of the New Model of Defence, it changed tasks and components and on 1st October 1997 it became Alpine Troops Command, maintaining at its dependencies the Alpine Brigade, the 4th Paratroopers Alpines Regiment, the 6th Alpines Regiment and the Alpines Training Centre.