The Army Aviation Training Group originated from the Air Artillery Unit formed on 10th May 1951, at the dependencies of the Artillery School of Bracciano (RM), in order to give the Army "its Air Force".
The following year the Unit changed its name into "Artillery Aerial Observation Training Centre"; it had to educate the Observer Pilots Officers and the mechanic Non-Commissioned Officers allocated to the Sections and Light Aircrafts Units for the aerial patrol, connection and observation of shootings.
In 1957 it stopped to be part of the Artillery School and it was named Army Light Aviation Training Centre when it was placed at the dependencies of the Army Inspectorate and then of the ALE Inspectorate. At the beginning of 1958 it was transferred to the city of Viterbo, at the "Lieutenant M.O. Dante Chelotti" barracks; there the "T.Fabbri" airport accommodated its light aircrafts.
On 14th May of the same year, in occasion of the seventh anniversary from the constitution of the Specialty, it was given the Institute Flag.
Since then, a series of events followed one another leading up to the definitive establishment of the ALE, also in view of the introduction of helicopters. In occasion of the twentieth anniversary of the Constitution, the blue beret was granted as headgear to the members of the Specialty.
In 1976, in the reorganization of the Army, it was called Light Aviation Centre of the Army in order to point out its training and operational aspect characterized by the new aircraft (A-109 in the connection and antitank version). On 6th October 1991 the Centre received the twin-engine Dornier 228.
In 1993 the motivation for the Gold Medal to the Army Valour given to the Army Aviation highlighted the commitment of the staff that participated in peacekeeping missions abroad for the UN in Lebanon, Turkey, Namibia, Albania, ex-Yugoslavia, Mozambique, Somalia. In August the Specialty was officially named Army Aviation.
In March 1994 the Flag of the Centre was awarded by the Gold Medal to the Merit of the Public Health for the essential contribute in Italy and abroad. Since 1st January 2000 it was named Air Cavalry Centre, becoming part of the 28th "Tucano" Squadron Group and other training units.
After having been transformed into a Group, it has lost the 28th and became part of the new Air Cavalry Training Group.
Since 1st December 2003 it was firstly named Army Aviation Training Group and then Army Aviation Training Centre.