The Application School inherited head office, infrastructures, functions and traditions of the Application School of the Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery and Engineer Corps that were reconstructed in Turin in 1949 and reunified in a single Command with the name of Army Application School. Some of those schools were funded in the last century while others in the earlier current century, originating from preexistent institutes funded in Piedmont in the 18th and 19th century. During the time some of the most important personalities of the national history, such as Cavalli, Cavour, Faà di Bruno and Lagrange, have attended those schools in quality of Cadets, Commanders and Teachers.
Chronologically, we must consider the Application School of Artillery and the Application School of Engineer as the first (originated from the most ancient "Theoretical and Practical Royal Schools of Artillery and Fortification" that were funded in Turin in 1739 and remained in activity for about eighty years, until the restoration post-Napoleon) and then the Application School of Cavalry, followed by the Application School of Infantry. Between 1816 and 1822 their functions passed progressively to the "Royal Military Academy" (1816), to the "Application School for Officers of the Engineer Royal Corps" (1819) and to the "Theoretical Application School for Officers of the Artillery Royal Corps (1822). Between 1830 and 1835 the activities of these two Schools finished and the preparation of the young Officers were entrusted entirely to the Academy in which the "Complementary School" (1834) and the "Application School of the Armies" (1839) were included.
After the First War of Independence and the consequent reform of the Savoy Army, the courses of the "Royal Military Academy" and the theoretical-practical ones were separated again. In 1851, in order to carry out the theoretical-practical courses, the King Vittorio Emanuele II instituted the "Complementary School for Officers of Artillery and Engineer" that was independent respect to the Academy.
After a very short period in which it was closed, in the second half of 1863, it was reconstituted with the name of "Application School of the Artillery and Engineer Corps"; in 1897, along with the "Royal Military Academy", it passed under a unique command.
The School continued its functions for more than twenty-five years, until when the decree of 14th October 1924 ordered its dissolution and its tasks passed to a command of special courses, included in the "Military Academy of Artillery and Engineer". The reunification was brief because in 1928 the two Institutes were separated again even if they remained under a unique command and they were called "Royal Military Academy of Artillery and Engineer" and "Application School of Artillery and Engineer". Because of the war events, on 8th September 1943 they stopped their activities after the first was moved to Lucca and the second one to Montecatini Terme.
In 1949 the applicant courses for the Officers of the Artillery and Engineer restarted in Schools initially separated and then, in 1951, included in the "Application School of the Army" and in 1976 in the "Application School".
"The Application School of Cavalry" originated from the "Royal Military School of Equitation" funded in Venaria Reale in 1823 and later moved to Pinerolo becoming "Military School of Cavalry" in 1849, "Regular School of Cavalry" in 1862, "Cavalry School" in 1887 and "Application School of Cavalry" in 1910.
Like the "Application School of Artillery and Engineer", the "Application School of Cavalry" was dissolved on 8th September 1943; after the war, its functions passed to the "Application School of Infantry" in 1949, to the "Application School of Infantry and Cavalry" in 1954 and to the "Application School" in 1976.
The "Application School of Infantry" originated from the "Regular School of Infantry" instituted in Turin in 1849 and later "Military School of Infantry" in 1850, located in Ivrea, and the "Regular School of Infantry" in 1862, located at first in Ivrea but then in Colorno (1864) and Parma (1865). In 1869 it was changed into "Central School of Shooting, Fencing, Gymnastic and Swimming for the Infantry", then named "Regular School of Infantry" in 1873, "Central School of Shooting for Infantry" in 1888 and "Application School of Infantry" in 1910.
Dissolved on 8th September 1943 after an heroic resistance against the German troops, the School was reconstituted in Turin in 1949 with the previous name that was changed into "Application School of Infantry and Cavalry" in 1954. In 1951 it was included in the "Application Schools of Army" and in 1976 its tasks passed to the "Application School".
Since 1st June 2003, incorporating the courses that were organized by the "War School" in Civitavecchia, the Institute assumed the current name of "Application School and Institute of Military Studies of the Army".
Since 3rd August 2009 the Command of Application School and Military Studies of the Army was named "Schools Command – Application School and Institute of Military Studies of the Army", responsible for the unique management of the educational sector for all the personnel of the Army. In particular:
- as High Command of the
Scholastic Area, it ensures the basic and advanced education to Officers,
Non-Commissioned Officers and Volunteers as well as the linguistic education to
all the personnel of the Army;
- as Command of the Application School and Institute of Military Studies, it ensures the basic education to Officers of Regular Appointment (RN), Special Appointment (RS), of the Selected Reserve and those with direct appointment as well as the advanced education to officers of Regular Role;
- as Post Conflict Operation Study Centre, it is responsible for the development of the project concerning the creation of a Centre of Excellence for the Armed Force that is responsible for the study and research about post conflict operations but also for the education of the military and civil personnel.
In order to carry out its duties, the Schools Command - Application School and Institute of Military Studies of the Army (ISME), it has got at its dependencies all the Institutes responsible for the basic and advanced education of the personnel of the Army, among which the Military Academy of Modena, the two Military Schools of Naples and Milan, the Non-Commissioned Officers School of Viterbo, the Training Units Group for Volunteers in Capua and the Foreign Languages School in Perugia.
Since 8th March 2010, according to the dispositions by the General Staff of the Army, the Schools Command – Application School and Institute of Military Studies of the Army changed its name into Application School and Institute of Military Studies of the Army, maintaining the double function of High Command of the Area and Educational Institute.
According to another measure by the General Staff of the Army, on 1st February 2011 the Application School and Institute of Military Studies of the Army was renamed Training Command and Application School of the Army.