The health Military School was constituted on 1st January 1883 in Florence and located in an ancient complex of monasteries of the 14th century. The barracks was dedicated to Francesco Redi, a famous doctor of Florence of the 17th century; it had a second head office in a new building in Via Cavour, near the Military Hospital in Florence, known today as "Angelo Vannini" Barracks.
Along with the initial courses "of Application", the School also carried out activities for the preparation of Medical Cadet Officers. For needs related to the space, in 1928 the "Vittorio Veneto" Barracks (in Oltrarno) was acquired, adapted from ancient religious buildings.
In 1925 the Monument to the Fallen Doctor was inaugurated in the "Francesco Redi" Barracks and in 1928 the Medical School received the Flag of the Corps. In more than a hundred years, over 60,000 Italian doctors has attended the Courses of the School.
Moreover the School intervened wherever it was necessary: in 1908 the Courses were suspended because Cadets and teachers intervened to rescue the populations hit by the earthquake in Messina and Reggio Calabria, deserving the Silver Medal. In 1966, for the first time in Florence, the course attenders intervened after the flooding receiving a certificate of Public Merit to the Civil Valour.
On 15th July the Medical Military School was reorganized in Rome Cecchignola with the name of Medical and Veterinary Military School.