The Infantry School was founded in Turin by decree of 4th December 1849 as Infantry Regular School. Later it changed its name many times and it was moved from Turin to Ivrea, to Colorno (PR) and then to Parma.
During the time the training objectives changed, following the technical development, the doctrine updating, the new components of the units and the different categories of the courses attenders.
After the Second World War the School was reconstituted on 1st March 1945 in Cesano di Roma, with some regiments of the "Piceno" Combat Group.
In 1984 it was named Infantry and Cavalry School but, when the Cavalry School in Montelibretti (RM) was reconstituted in 1993 it reassumed the traditional name of Infantry School.
The School has got the War Flag of the Infantry, decorated with two Military Orders of Italy (assigned for merits acquired in 1915-1918 and in the Italian-Ethiopian war in 1935-1936), a Golden Medal to the Army Valour (for the conduct of its Units in operations abroad from 1992-2008), a Golden Medal to the Civil Valour (for its intervention in favour of the populations hit by the flooding in Val Padana in 1994).