By Royal Decree of 15th November 1823, the King of Sardinia Carlo Felice ordered the constitution of the Royal Equitation Military School in Venaria Reale (Turin) in order to train the young cadets of the Cavalry Corps, the Officers and the components of the Court.
In 1849 the School was reconstituted in Pinerolo (TO) as cavalry Military School aiming to train the personnel of the Cavalry Corps. In 1891 it was founded the detached head office of Tor di Quinto for the development of campaign equitation courses.
In 1910 the Institute was name Cavalry Application School. After the war events in 1943, the Cavalry Application School was dissolved.
In 1946 the Armoured Cavalry School was constituted in Tor di Quinto (Rome) and in 1951 it was merged with the Tank School of Forte Tiburtino (Rome), instituted in 1947, forming the new Armoured Troops School of Caserta.
In 1991 the Armoured Troops School was moved to Lecce; soon after, in 1992, on the framework of the reorganization of the scholar training sector of the Army, in Montelibretti the Cavalry School was constituted. After 42 years of intense activity, on 11th January 1993, the Armoured Troops School was renamed Tank School.
In 1998, with the foundation of the "armoured training Pole", the Cavalry School was reorganized as RSTA Training Group and the Tank School of Lecce as Cavalry School and Armoured Troops.
In 2000 the School reassumed the traditional name of Cavalry School; in 2007 the RSTA of Montelibretti was reorganized as Equitation Military Centre, dedicated to that sport even if it remained at the dependencies of the School.