Lieutenant General Luigi Francesco DE LEVERANO was born on 25th May 1958 in Lecce.
He joined the Army in 1976 attending the 158th Course at the Military Academy of Modena and the Application School in Turin (1976-1980). After having finished his studies in 1980, he moved to Civitavecchia at the "Leonessa" Battalion where he was the platoon Commander in the earthquake areas of Irpinia and Basilicata (1980-1981) with the rank of First Lieutenant; later, with the rank of Captain, he has held the position of Company Commander until December 1986.
In January 1987 he was moved to the Signals Inspectorate for the position of Chief of the Organization and Regulations Section, until September 1990.
From July 1991 to August 1996 he was Officer at the 1st Section of the RESTAV Office, at the General Staff of the Army, where he was promoted to Major; later, with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, he was the Commander of the "Leonessa" Battalion of the 11th Signals Regiment in Civitavecchia.
One year later, he came back to the General Staff of the Army where he held the position of Chief of the 1st Section of RESTAV Office; until October 2000 he was the Chief of the Section of Legal Affairs Office.
After having been promoted to Colonel, he has been Commander of the 235th "Piceno" RAV until July 2002.
In August 2002 he was moved again to the General Staff of the Army to hold the position as Chief of the Recruitment, Status and Promotion Office and since January 2005 as Chief of the Recruitment Office (SME-RAGEP).
In July 2006, with the rank of Brigadier General, after having held the position of Deputy Commander of the Italian Contingent in Iraq, he was the Commander of the "Sassari" Mechanized Brigade until July 2007. Later he was moved to the Minister of Defence Cabinet as Deputy Chief of Cabinet, until January 2011. Until January 2013, with the rank of Major General he was appointed Chief of the General Office of the Chief of Defence General Staff.
Since January 2013 he was moved again to the Minister of Defence Cabinet where he held the position of Cabinet Chief from 22nd May to 23rd June 2014 and from 16th January to 10th March 2015.
Promoted to Lieutenant General, from 20th July 2015 to 4th July 2016 he served as a Commander of the 2nd Defence Operational Forces Command in San Giorgio a Cremano.
From 5th July to 30th September 2016 he was the Commander of the Southern Interregional Defence Forces in Naples.
Since 1st October 2016 he is the Commander of the Southern Operational Forces, at the dependencies of the Chief of General Staff of the Army.
During his military service he has held other positions as:
- Member of the Decision College for the evaluation of the personnel to employ in the Reserve Forces – Selected reserve;
- Tutor for the Ph.D in Strategic Sciences at the University of Turin;
- Member of the Commission for the administrative and accounting checks at the of the C.R.I Central Committee;
- Member of the Working Group for the coordination in the implementation of the provisions regarding victims of criminal acts as well as their family survivors;
- Member of the Working Group for the revision of the penal military laws of peace and war;
- Member of the governmental Commission for the implementation of the provisions about the Agreement between Italy and the Vatican State on 18th February 1984, ratified by the law n.121 on 25th March 1985;
- Officer for the rationalization/harmonization/implementation of the available spaces in Naples (with particular reference to "Palazzo Salerno" and the barracks of "Calò", "Minucci", "Marselli" and "Albricci").
He was also:
- lecturer for the course of Military History at the Political Sciences Faculty of the University of Florence in 2011-2012, regarding women in the Armed Forces (legal status, promotion, employment, perspectives);
- lecturer for the course "Journalism for reporters in crisis areas" at the University of "Tor Vergata";
- lecturer for the course "international missions of the Armed Forces – employment of female personnel: the first ten years" as part of the Master in "Experts in Politics and International Relations" at the Economical, Political Sciences and Modern Languages Faculty (2012-2013).
He has collaborated with the magazines "Economic Mirror" for which he has published the following articles:
- "The Realignment is a reality"; "…it was called mini naja"; "He is ten but he doesn't look his age";
- "The specificity of the military condition"; "The formula of the oath"; "3Ps: Professionalism, Professionalization and Professions"; "Specificity: advantage or disadvantage?"; "In the name of the Committee of the Chiefs".
He has attended the following Courses:
- Information Session for Officers of the electronic war;
- 23rd Course for "I" Officers of battalion or group;
- 8th English Course
- 115th Course for General Staff;
- 115th Upper Course for General Staff;
- NATO Joint Service Course for EW Planning and Analysis in Exercise;
- 36th Session of the International Bodies Italian School;
- Master degree in European Studies at the "Alcide De Gasperi" Institute;
- Advanced Course in journalism for reporters in crisis areas "M.CUTULI".
He has gained a university Degree and a Master Degree in Strategic Sciences at the University of Turin and a Master Degree in Political Sciences at the University of Trieste.
He can speak English, Spanish and French.
For his service he has been awarded with:
- Grand Officer of the Order to the Merit of the Republic;
- Grand Officer Cross with swords to the Maltese Merit of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta;
- Mauritian Medal to the Merit of Ten Lustra of Military Career;
- Gold Medal to the Merit of the Italian Red Cross;
- Bronze Medal to the Merit of the Italian Red Cross;
- Gold Medal for Long Service;
- Gold Cross for Service Seniority;
- Joint Honour Cross of the Defence General Staff;
- Commemorative Cross for the participation in peacekeeping missions in SFOR and for the international rescue activity (the ancient Babylon in Iraq);
- Bronze Commemorative Medal for the participation in rescue operations in the earthquake areas of Irpinia and Basilicata;
- Cross with swords of the Order to the Maltese Merit;
- Decoration of Knight of the Equestrian Order of San Silvestro Pope;
- Decoration of the Sacred Constantinian Order of San Giorgio;
- Commemorative Cross for operations of safeguarding of the free Institution and maintenance of the public order ("Safe Streets" Operation).
General DE LEVERANO is married to Mrs. Flavia BOTTION; they have got a son whose name is Adriano. Since 1st July 2015 he has got the current rank of Lieutenant General.