"Alla vittoria e all'onor son guida"
The first horseback Guides Squadron was instituted by the King Vittorio Emanuele II and on the proposal of the Secretary of State Minister for the war affairs, General Alfonso La Marmora. After some weeks the Squadron was employed in the Second War of Independence. On 23rd February 1860, by Royal Decree, the king Vittorio Emanuele II instituted the Guides Regiment with the Guides Squadron of the Sardinian Royal Army, the Guides Squadron of the Emilian Army; soldiers of the Austrian Cavalry from Lombardia, Non-Commissioned Officers, Corporals and soldiers of Cavalry regiments. The Regiment had to guarantee intelligent and courageous elements in different troops command and in case of maneuvres, in order to conduct the units towards the battle places.
In 1866 the Regiment was included in the 1st Army Corps of Mincio and fought in Custoza, Valeggio, etc. In 1877-1878 the Regiment participated in the formation of the 1st Africa Cavalry Squadron and the horseback hunters Squadron, employed in the operation in Eritrea. On 16th December 1897, after being named 19th Cavalry Regiment and 19th Guides Cavalry Regiment, it became 19th "Guide Cavalrymen" Regiment. In 1920 it was renamed "Guide Cavalrymen" Regiment, incorporating two Cavalrymen Squadrons of Vicenza.
In 1934 the "Guide Cavalrymen" Regiment formed the 1st "San Marco" Rapid Tanks Group, the 2nd "San Giusto" Rapid Tanks Group, the 3rd "San Martino" Rapid Tanks Group and the "San Giorgio" horseback Group. Later the Regiment was changed into a Rapid Tanks School, maintaining a horseback Squadrons Group. In January 1935 the Regiment ceded the Rapid Tanks Groups to the Rapid Divisions even if it continued to have the function of "Rapid Tanks Centre".
In 1940 the Regiment depended on the Albania Troops Higher Command that was included in the Rapid Units Group. After the armistice on 8th September 1943 it was dissolved. In 1940 the new 14th "Guides" Group was constituted and on 8th September 1943 it was included in the 210th Coast Division deployed in Salentino. The Unit continued to operate as 14th "Guide" Combat Unit during the war of liberation.
On 1st April 1949 the "Guide" Armoured Cavalry Squadron was reconstituted in "Tor di Quinto" (Rome) at the Armoured Cavalry School. In the same year it passed at the dependencies of the "Ariete" Brigade and was moved to Casarsa della Delizia. In December 1953 it was changed into "Guide" Cavalrymen Squadrons Group, at the dependencies of the "Ariete" Armoured Division, while in 1958 it was renamed 19th "Guide" Cavalrymen Squadrons Group.
On 1st April 1991, from the "Trieste" Barracks in Casarsa della Delizia, the "Guides" were moved to Salerno at the "D'Avossa" Barracks where, on 5th August 1991, became a Regiment as 19th "Guide Cavalrymen" Regiment.
Since then the Regiment has participated in all the missions of the "Garibaldi" Brigade in the Balkans, but also in Bosnia and Kosovo and before in Somalia for the "Ibis" mission.