"Aosta d' fer"
On 16th September 1774 the "Aosta Cavalry" Regiment was constituted by the King of Sardinia Vittorio Amedeo III of Savoy. In 1792 "Aosta" received the baptism of fire participating in the war campaign against the Armies of Napoleon Bonaparte until 1796.
In 1848 "Aosta" participated in the first war of independence distinguishing in the campaign of 1848. Particularly important was the battle of Goito on 8th April and of Mantova on 18th April. During the campaign in 1849, on 23rd March, in the battle of Novara it deserved a Silver Medal to the Flag.
In 1852 it took up lances, sabers and handgun and participated in the campaign of Crimea. In 1860 the "Lancieri di Aosta" participated in the campaign of brigandage, distinguishing in the battles of Capitanata and Bari. The Regiment participated also in the third war of independence and in the campaign of 1866, fighting in Monte Vento (Custoza) on 24th June, where it deserved the Golden Medal to the Military Valour, and in Mendola on 2nd July.
During the First World War the Regiment, led by General Reynaud, was employed on the lower part of Isonzo until 17th November. From 1915 to 1918 Captain Polidori, Captain Peruzzi, First Lieutenant Accame and Second Lieutenant Paolo Moto were decorated with the Silver Medal to the Military Valour. In 1918 the Regiment, led by Colonel De Ruggero, carried out the heroic attack of Corgnolo where its Flag was decorated with a Bronze Medal to the Military Valour.
In 1936 it participated in the campaign of Africa deserving two Bronze Medal. In 1939, during the campaign in Albania, First Lieutenant Avati and the LAncieri (Lancers) Maniullo and Vece received the Silver Medal to the Military Valour. In 1940 it gained the War Cross to the Military Valour for having been distinguished on the Greek-Albanian front. In 1941 "Aosta" participated with valour in the campaign of Greece. In 1943, during the retreat in Tunisia, the Regiment distinguished in the battle of Gebel Noemia, where Marshal M.Schiavi received the Silver Medal to the Military Valour, and in the same year Major Ferrante, Second Lieutenants Castelli, Roberti, Mannetti and First Lieutenant Cappellano Don M.Pilati received the silver medal.
After the end of the Second World War "Aosta" was dissolved, to be reconstituted in 1951 in Bologna with the name of 6th Armoured Cavalry Lancieri di Aosta Regiment; on 25th June 1952 it took again the War Flag. On 4th November 1958 the Regiment changed its name into 6th "Lancieri di Aosta" Regiment.
On 31st August 1964 the Regiment was dissolved to form, with the 1st Squadrons Group, the "Lancieri di Aosta" on 16th September in Cervignano del Friuli, while the 2nd Squadrons Group reconstituted the 12th "Saluzzo". In 1976 the "Lancieri di Aosta" received the Bronze Medal to the Army Valour on the occasion of the earthquake in Friuli. On 7th May 1991 it left the headquarters in Cervignano del Friuli to move to Palermo.
On 3rd March 1993 the Regiment was formed and it changed the name "6th Lancieri di Aosta Tanks Squadrons Group Regiment" into 6th "Lancieri di Aosta" Regiment. Since 1992 it is employed on the "Sicilian Vespers" Operation, carrying out activities of public security.