"...e vincere bisogna"
Constituted on 16th April 1861 in Capua with the battalions from the 28th to the 33rd, it increased the number of the battalions up to eight and in December 1865 it became 4th Bersaglieri Regiment. It was reconstituted on 1st January 1871 in Ancona with the four battalions of the Campaigns for the Independence (the 6th, the 13th, the 19th and the 21st), coming from the 1st Regiment. After having lost the 21st and renumbered the other battalions as 1st, 2nd and 3rd, it contributed to form the units participating in the Campaigns of Eritrea.
Employed in Libya in 1911-1912 with more than one thousand soldiers, it participated in the Great War with a cyclists battalion. In Conca di Plezzo in 1915, on Carso in 1916, on Isonzo, Vodice and Bainsizza in 1917, the Regiment concluded the Frist World War on Sasso Rosso in 1918. Reorganized in 1923 as Cyclists Regiment, it still included the 6th and the 13th Battalions.
Employed in the War of Spain, the Regiment operated, included in the "Emanuele Filiberto Testa di Ferro" Rapid Division, in Yugoslavia, Bosnia and Croatia; with the "Principe Amedeo duca d'Aosta" it left for the Russian front in 1942. Come back to Italy with two Golden Medals in April 1943, on 1st July 1943 it became 6th Bersaglieri Motorized Regiment. It was dissolved on 8th September 1943, after the armistice.
On 1st October 1969 the 6th Bersaglieri Battalion was reconstituted and included in the 22nd "Cremona" Armoured Infantry Regiment until 20th October 1975. After the dissolution of the Regiment for the reorganization in 1975, the Battalion located in Turin was named 6th "Palestro" Bersaglieri Battalion, included in the 3rd "Goito" Mechanized Brigade of the "Centauro" Division. After the reorganization in 1985, the Battalion took the position of "Quadro" and then it was dissolved on 31st May 1991.
On 16th September 1992 the 6th Bersaglieri Regiment was reconstituted on the base of the 6th "Palestro" Bersaglieri Battalion in Solbiate Olona, by transformation of the preexistent 10th "Bezzecca" Bersaglieri Battalion.
The Regiment participated in the operations abroad and in Homeland.
Progressively reduced in the headquarters of Bologna, it was reconstituted in Trapani on 15th April 2005 for redenomination of the preexistent 12th Bersaglieri Regiment.