"Aosta" Brigade was constituted on 25th October 1831 on the 1st and 2nd Regiments that, in 1839, became the 5th and the 6th.
Earlier, the Brigade existed since 1st November 1815 with two battalions from the "Aosta" Regiment, coming from the Fusiliers Regiment of 1690, and personnel from the Provincial Regiments of Ivrea and Vercelli.
Dissolved in 1871, as well as all the permanent brigades, it was reconstituted in 1881 still including the 5th and 6th Regiments.
For effect of the law 11th March 1926 about the reorganization of the Army, providing for the constitution of the Brigades on three regiments, the Brigade included the 85th "Verona" Regiment and since 19th November it was named 28th Infantry Brigade; the Brigade and the 22nd Artillery Regiment entered the 28th Land Military Division of Palermo.
In 1934 this unit was named 28th "Vespers" Infantry Division, also extended to the Brigade. In 1939 the 28th "Aosta" Infantry Division was formed with the 5th and 6th Infantry regiment and the 22nd Artillery regiment and it was deployed in Sicily.
In July 1943 it participated in the defence of the island, deployed in the western area. The units were moved to the area of Trento where the Great Unit was reconstituted before being dissolved after the armistice of 8th September 1943. On 20th September 1944, with the regiments of the dissolved "Bari" Division, the 3rd and the 4th Internal Security Brigade that on 14th October entered the "Aosta" Internal Security Division. On 15th August 1946 the "Aosta" Infantry Brigade was formed; on 1st February 1948 it became Infantry Division in Palermo.
On 21st February 1961 in Messina it changed its components and was renamed "Aosta" Infantry Brigade, including the 5th "Aosta" Infantry Regiment, the 62nd Armoured Battalion, the "Aosta" Artillery Group for Campaign and Supports units.
With the reorganization of the Army, on 1st October 1975 the great unit became "Aosta" Motorized Brigade, including several units that formed the 5th "Col della Berretta", the 62nd "Sicily" and 141st "Catanzaro" Infantry Battalions, the 62nd "M.O. Jero" Tanks Battalion, the 24th "Peloritani" Artillery Group for Campaign, the Command and Signals Unit and a Logistics Battalion.
In 1992 it changed its components and since 18th August it became "Aosta" Mechanized Brigade. Since 25th July 1992 the Brigade has participated in the "Sicilian Vespers" Operation aiming to patrol the territory and to maintain the public order on the island.