"Come lo scoglio infrango, come l'onda travolgo"
The first nucleus of the future Marines was constituted on 15th January 1951 in Venice Lido. On 1st July 1951 a platoon command, including personnel of the Army and the Navy, was placed at the dependencies of the Sector Command; so it started the constitution of a battalion including a company command with personnel and vehicles of the Army, an amphibious company and a lagoon support unit with personnel and vehicles of the Navy.
On 15th October 1951 the "San Marco" Infantry Battalion, constituted by personnel of the Navy and at the dependencies of the "Folgore" Infantry Division, was included in the Marine Forces Section. On 1st September 1952 the "Piave" Battalion was formed with the same component structure of the "Marghera" Battalion; on 1st January 1954 the Naval Disembark Vehicles Group was constituted to ensure a better maneuverability of the disembark and transport vehicles. On 1st July 1957 the "San Marco" Battalion is changed into "Isonzo" Battalion with personnel, materials and vehicles of the Army.
On 1st September 1957, after having lost the Navy components, the Section maintained the same operational tasks but it changed its components assuming the name of Lagoon Group and included: a command, a company command, a training command, a signals command, the "Marghera" and "Piave" amphibious Battalions and the "Isonzo" Battalion. On 1st May 1958 the Support Lagoon Unit, with armoured and amphibious vehicles, was constituted.
The Group received the War Flag on 25th October 1959; on 24th May 1964 it became "Serenissima" Marines Regiment with: a command; a company command; the "Marghera", "Piave" and "Isonzo" Battalions; the 22nd Battalion. With the amphibious vehicles platoons of the battalions deployed in the base of Cà Vio, a boats platoon of the same battalions and the platoon deployed on the isle of S.Andrea, the Amphibious Transports Company was constituted.
On 20th October the Marines Regiment was dissolved to form the Amphibious Troops Command, the "Piave" Battalion became a mechanized battalion and the 1st "Serenissima" Marines Battalion was constituted inheriting the War Flag of the Regiment; the "Isonzo" Battalion became a mechanized battalion with the name of 41st "Modena" Mechanized Battalion; the "Gorizia" mechanized Brigade was formed including the 22nd Tanks Battalion that was called 22nd "M.O. Piccini" Tanks Battalion; the amphibious Transports company was changed into "Sile" Amphibious Vehicles Battalion.
On the framework of the most recent reorganization of the Army, on 13th October 1992 the Battalion lost its independence and the following day it was included in the "Serenissima" Marines Regiment, with the personnel of the dissolved "Sile" Amphibious vehicles Battalion. From 6th August to 2nd October 1993 the Regiment participated in the "Sicilian Vespers", for the control of the territory in the area of Palermo, and from 27th July to 25th September 1994 in the sector of Enna. Later it became a completely "professional" unit and it started to participate in all the overseas operations of the Army.