"Soit à pied soit à cheval mon honneur est sans ègal"
It originates from the "Blue Dragons", created on 26th January 1682 by Duke Amedeo II and appeared for the first time in Carignano during the 1690-1693 campaign against France. The participated in all the actions from 1703 to 1713 and during the battle of Turin, in Madonna di Campagna, in a critical phase of the battle, and for their valorous behavior the "Blue Dragons" became "Dragons of His Royal Highness (HRH)".
Named "Dragons of the King" in 1713, on 21st April 1796 they charged and scared away the French Dragons, helping the retreat of the piedmont infantry engaged against Napoleon on the Bricchetto hill. For that action the King Vittorio Amedeo III gave two Golden Medals because "only one medal is not enough to award its valour". The date has become the celebration of the Regiment. On 9th December 1796 it served the Piedmont Republic and in 1799 it was named "1st Piedmont Dragons Regiment". After having participated in the revolts of 1821, the Regiment was dissolved.
A detachment of the Regiment, that remained loyal to the King Carlo Felice, the "Dragons of Genevese" were constituted. The new Regiment maintained the traditions and the two golden medals of Bricchetto. In 1821 it assumed the yellow patch, a colour that is still in use today. In 1832 King Carlo Alberto ordered that all the Regiments had the same functions and name and the Regiment was called "Genova Cavalry". It fought in the 1848 campaign with "Savoy", "Aosta" and "Nizza" in Goito and Governolo. In the 1859 campaign it distinguished in Vinzaglio. Included in the Soman Brigade during the 1866 campaign in Villafranca, it succeeded in containing the Austrian advance and permitting the retreat to two Infantry divisions and to the Piedmont Artillery units.
At the outbreak of the First World War the "Genova" was on the border. The Regiment, as all the Cavalry, fought in trench. On 30th October 1917 in Pozzuolo del Friuli, with the "Novara", succeeded stopping the enemy on the territory. With a squadron mobilized in Ethiopia, in 1935 it occupied Neghelli. In 1941 it was also engaged in Yugoslavia and then in Albania and Northern Africa. During the days of the armistice it fought in Rome, at Porta San Paolo, and in Tirana (Albania).
Reconstituted in 1946 in Albenga as 4th Dragons explorer divisional group, in 1949 it became 4th "Genova Cavalry" armoured Cavalry Regiment and it was located in Palmanova where it is still situated today. In 1958 it reassumed the traditional name of 4th "Genova Cavalry" Regiment. In 1975, with the reorganization of the Army, it became 4th "Genova Cavalry" mechanized Squadrons Group, also originating the 28th "Cavalleggeri di Treviso" Tanks Squadrons Group. On 14th September 1993, by a new decree, the group was changed into 4th "Genova Cavalry" Regiment.