Lieutenant General Bruno STANO has attended the Military Academy of Modena and, after having been appointed Second Lieutenant of the Infantry Corps, he has attended the Application School of Turin.
He has got a University Degree in Strategic Sciences; he has attended the Course of General Staff and the Upper Course of General Staff with excellence. He has soon performed command activities in different operational units of the Italian Army.
Since 2007, after the position as Deputy Chief of the Department for the Army Personnel Employment, he has become Chief of the Department.
Thanks to his operational, governing and employment experience for the positions held during the years, General Stano has gained high capability in the human resources management. In all the positions of his career he has shown abilities in the analysis of the individual capability and of the "organized groups" as well as in evaluating the potential of the resources to employ.
The multi-year activity in the human resources management has permitted to him to manage and develop the sector, making it functional for the modern Army whose essential and irreplaceable resource is the "human being". He is also able to analyze and manage potentiality and problems concerning the personnel, male and female, of the Armed Force. He has acquired a particular ability of organizational analysis in defining the professional profiles of the personnel to employ, in its training and qualification as well as in the most efficient positioning in the organizational context.
Moreover he has also got a great experience in General Staff: he worked for the Operations Office of General Staff of the Army in Rome (1992) and for its Organization Office (from 1993 to 1998). When he was Chief of the Troop Employment Office (from 2000 to 2002) he has also developed a great capability in the sector of the volunteers employment.
Lieutenant General Bruno Stano was born on 14th December 1954 in Manduria (TA).
- Infantry Second Lieutenant in 1975;
- First Lieutenant on 1st September 1977;
- Captain on 1st September 1981;
- Major on 26th February 1989;
- Lieutenant Colonel on 1st September 1991;
- Colonel on 31st December 1997;
- Brigadier General on 1st January 2003;
- Major General on 1st January 2007;
- Lieutenant General on 11th February 2012.
- 155th Course at the Military Academy, from 1973 to 1975;
- Application School, from 1st September 1975 to 4th September 1977;
- License of "swim lifesaving" (first aid) on 17th June 1977;
- 63rd Qualification Course of Officers for the NBC Defence at the Joint Unique School for the NBC Defence, from 18th January 1982 to 20th February 1982;
- 112th Course of General Staff at the War School of the Italian Army, from 14th September 1987 to 24th June 1988;
- "English" Course at the Foreign Languages Army School, from 5th March 1990 to 27th July 1990;
- 112th Upper Course of General Staff at the War School of the Italian Army, from 24th September 1990 to 30th June 1991;
- University Degree in "Strategic Sciences" at the University of Turin, on 27th January 2000;
- Master Degree in Strategic Sciences at the University of Turin, on 28th October 2003.
a. National Command:
- Riflemen Company and Platoon Commander, Mortars Company Commander at the 78th "Lupi di Toscana" Regiment in Florence (from 5th September 1977 to 13th September 1987);
- Battalion Commander at the 5th "Aosta" Regiment in Messina, from 31st August 1992 to 23rd September 1993;
- Commander of the 151st "Sassari" Infantry Regiment in Cagliari, from 9th September 1998 to 27th August 2000;
- Deputy Commander of the "Sassari" Brigade in Sassari, from 1st October 2002 to 4th September 2003;
- Commander of the "Sassari" Brigade in Sassari, from 5th September 2003 to 2nd September 2004;
- Commander of the 1st Defence Forces Command, since 9th August 2013.
b. International Command:
- Regiment Commander – "Constant Forge" Operation in Bosnia, from 26th November 1998 to 31st May 1999;
- Regiment Commander – "Joint Guardian" Operation in Kosovo, from 22nd January 2000 to 31st May 2000;
- Joint Task Force Commander in Iraq, from 8th October 2003 to 29th January 2004.
c. General Staff:
- Officer at the 1st Section of the Operations Office of General Staff of the Army in Rome, from 25th July 1991 to 27th August 1992;
- Chief of the 3rd Section of the Forces Organization Office of General Staff of the Army in Rome, from 29th September 1993 to 31st August 1998;
- Chief of the Office for the Troop Soldiers Employment at the General Staff of the Army in Rome, from 31st August 2000 to 26th September 2002;
- Deputy Chief of the Department for the Personnel Employment at the General Staff of the Army in Rome, from 13th September 2004 to 30th August 2007;
- Chief of the Department for the Personnel Employment at the General Staff of the Army in Rome, from 31st August 2007 to 4th August 2013;
- Commander of the 1st Defence Forces Command in Vittorio Veneto, from 9th August 2013 to 30th August 2013;
- Northern Interregional Defence Forces Commander, from 1st October 2013 to 1st October 2016;
- Northern Operational Forces Commander, since 1st October 2016.
- Silver Cross to the Army Merit – Military Personnel General Management n.449 on 16th March 2001;
- Silver Cross to the Army Merit – Military Personnel General Management n.612 on 12th April 2002;
- Knight of the Order to the Merit of the Italian Republic – Decree by the President of the Republic on 27th December 2000;
- Mauritian Medal to the Merit of Ten Lustra of Military Career – Decree by the President of the Republic on 10th December 2002;
- Silver Medal to the Merit of the Italian Red Cross, on 21st March 2005;
- Bronze Medal to the Merit for long military service in Command, on 20th July 1993;
- Golden Cross for Service Seniority, on 20th July 1993;
- NATO Commemorative Cross for the service in Bosnia-Herzegovina, from 26th November 1998 to 31st May 1999;
- NATO Commemorative Medal for the service in Kosovo, from 22nd November 2000 to 1st June 2000;
- Commemorative Cross for the operations in safeguarding the free Institutions and in maintaining the public order during the "Sicilian Vespers" Operation, on 30th November 2004;
- Commemorative Cross for the human rescue operations during the mission in Iraq;
- Cross of Officer with swords of the Order to the Maltese Merit, on 25th October 2007;
- French National Defence Medal, on 19th February 2002;
- Officer of the Order to the Merit of the Italian Republic - Decree by the President of the Republic on 2nd June 2011.
- Mention in dispatches by Brigadier General Roberto SPECIALE, Commander of the Mechanized "Aosta" Brigade, on 3rd June 1993;
- Mention in dispatches by Brigadier General Domenico VILLANI, Commander of the Western Multinational Brigade, on 31st March 2000;
- Mention in dispatches by Lieutenant General Roberto SPECIALE, Deputy Chief of General Staff of the Army, on 20th September 2000;
- Mention in dispatches by Lieutenant General Giuseppe VALOTTO, Chief of the Department for the Army Personnel Employment, on 10th May 2005;
- Mention in dispatches by Lieutenant General Carlo GIBELLINO, Chief of the Department for the Army Personnel Employment, on 11th October 2006;
- Mention in dispatches by Lieutenant General Carlo GIBELLINO, Chief of the Department for the Army Personnel Employment, on 30th August 2007;
- Mention in dispatches by Lieutenant General Giuseppe VALOTTO, Chief of General Staff of the Army, on 22nd March 2011;
- Mention in dispatches by Lieutenant General Giuseppe VALOTTO, Chief of General Staff of the Army, on 31st August 2011.
General Bruno STANO is married to the Doctor Rita MENONI.