The “Pozzuolo del Friuli” Brigade originates from the 2nd Cavalry Brigade constituted on 7th March 1835. In the past the Great Cavalry Units were formed to be employed in war operations; they could be transformed according to the needs or dissolved in peacetime.
In 1775 there was the needs to gather the Cavalry Regiments under the same Command for a better coordination and a more precise administration. By regulations on 1st April the Department were instituted on two Brigades, each of them with two Cavalry Regiments; in that occasion the 2nd Brigade was constituted.
In 1786 by regulations on 22nd June the organization changed. The Brigades were dissolved and the Wings were formed: Dragons Wing and Cavalry Wing. In 1835 the Cavalry Brigade were instituted with three Regiments. In particular, the 2nd Brigade included the “Royal Cavalry Piedmont”, “Genova Cavalry” and “Aosta Cavalry”.
On 4th October 1836 the Brigade is organized on two Regiments: “Royal Cavalry Piedmont” and “Lancers of Novara”; on 2nd April 1849 it is formed by the “Savoy Cavalry” and “Genova Cavalry” Regiments. On 10th November of the same year it was dissolved.
During the 1st War of Independence, for needs related to the was campaigns in 1849, the Brigade was temporarily reconstituted on “Savoy Cavalry” and “Genova Cavalry” Regiments. On 30th April 1848 its Regiments led attacks in Pastrengo against the Austrian Cavalry, contributing to the victory; it also participated in the conflicts in S.Lucia (6th May 1848), Volta Manotvana (26th July 1848), Mortara and Sforzesca (21st March 1849), Novara (23rd March 1849).
In October it was dissolved. It was temporarily reconstituted on the “Savoy” and “Genova” Regiments for the war campaign in 1859 (2nd War of Independence) and included in the Cavalry Division, contributing to the defence of Turin; it then participated in the offensive of Sesia as well as in the battles of Palestro and Vinzaglio.
In October 1859 it assumed the name of “Cuirassiers Brigade” to become again “2nd Cavalry Brigade” on 6th June 1860.
In 1863 it was dissolved and reconstituted three years later on the “Nizza” and “Royal Piedmont” Regiments for the war campaign in 1866 (3rd War of Independence).
During the Great War (1915-1918), on 24th May the 2nd Cavalry Brigade, with the “Genova” and “Novara” Regiments and included in the “Friuli” Cavalry Division, carried out its first offensive beyond the border and up to the bridges of Pieris and Isonzo. In May 1916 was in trench until the first decade of January 1917. It operated in the Plava-Canale sector and on Carso; it led battles in Selz, Mount Cosich-Mucile and Mount Debeli.
From 14th to 16th September 1916 its units conquered quota 144 (an upland near Doberdò) and maintained its control on that area against several enemy attacks. In 1917 during the battle of Caporetto it participated in the protection of the retreat from Isonzo to Piave.
From the second post-war till today
After the World Conflict, on 1st April 1957 the Cavalry Command was constituted in Gradisca d’Isonzo and on 1st January 1959 it was named “Pozzuolo del Friuli”, in memory of the place where the Brigade fought on 29th – 30th October 1917. On 11th October 1964 the Command Brigade was moved to Gorizia.
After the reorganization of the Army, on 1st October 1975 the Great Unit was named “Pozzuolo del Friuli” Armoured Brigade and included in the “Mantova” Mechanized Division, located in Palmanova.
In 1976, after the earthquake in Eastern Friuli, the Brigade promptly intervened with its depending units, in spite of difficult environmental conditions, in order to help the population. For its efforts, on 26th November 1980 the President of the Republic awarded the Brigade with the Silver Medal to the Civil Valour.
On 11th June 1997 the Brigade absorbed the Historical Military Museum of Palmanova and on 1st December 2000 the “Serenissima” Marines Regiment located in Venice as well as the 3rd Sappers Engineer Regiment located in Udine.
According to measures by the General Staff of the Army, on 31st October 1996 the Command Brigade and the Command and Tactical Support Unit left the “Montezemolo” barracks in Palmanova to move to the “Federcio Guella” and “Montesanto” barracks in Gorizia.
From 26th July to 2nd December 2001 the Brigade was employed abroad for the “Joint Guardian” Operation in Albania.
According to measures by the General Staff of the Army, on 30th September 2001 the 8th “Pasubio” Regiment was dissolved and on 1st January 2002 the Brigade absorbed the 52nd “Turin” Land Artillery Regiment. On 1st February 2002 the “Pozzuolo del Friuli” Logistic Battalion was dissolved.
From 24th May to 5th September 2004 the Brigade participated in the “4th Ancient Babylon” Operation in Iraq.
On 31st December 2004 the 52nd “Turin” Land Artillery Regiment passed under the dependencies of the Artillery Brigade. On 1st January 2005 the Brigade absorbed the horseback Artillery Regiment.
From 8th November 2006 to 22nd April 2007 the Brigade participated in the “Leonte” Operation in Lebanon.
On 26th May 2007 the Brigade received the Honorary Citizenship from the city of Gorizia.
On 14th September 2007 the Brigade was awarded with the “Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George” and on 15th February 2008 with the Silver Medal to the Civil Merit for its efforts during the peacekeeping mission in Lebanon.
From 23rd November 2008 to 1st May 2009 the Brigade was employed in Lebanon for the “Leonte 5” Operation, from 9th November 2010 to 8th May 2011 for the “Leonte 9” Operation and from 9th May 2013 to 18th November 2013 for the “Leonte 14” Operation.
On 1st January 2013 the 5th “Lancers of Novara” Regiment moved to the “Ariete” Brigade and on 1st October 2014 the 2nd “Piedmont” Cavalry Regiment passed under the dependencies of “Julia” Brigade.
On 3rd November 2014 the Historical Museum of Palmanova was renamed Museum of the Great War and the fortress of Palmanova. On 1st July 2015 it included the “Pozzuolo del Friuli” Logistic Regiment, located in Remanzacco (UD), that before was part of the “Ariete” Brigade.