The "Friuli" Brigade was formed on 1st November 1884 in Milan.
It participated in the First World War, operating in the area of Carso di Monfalcone. In 1939 the 20th "Friuli" Infantry Division was formed in Livorno (Tuscany).
During the Second World War the Division was deployed in Corse (Teghime, Bastia); in 1944 it was reconstituted as "Friuli" combat Group of the new Italian Army and participated in the War of Liberation. On 10th February 1945 it was along the defensive positions in Brisighella. It overcame the enemy resistances proceeding to Bologna where its Units entered in the first hours of the following day on 21st April 1945.
The Command was moved to Florence and on 15th April 1960 the Division became the "Friuli" infantry Brigade. On 23rd September 1975 the "Friuli" became a motorized Brigade. Its activities included the rescue of people in Tuscany when a series of natural disasters occurred in the region, such as the flood of 1966 in Florence: in that occasion the militaries of the "Friuli" saved families in the areas of Rovezzano, Varlungo and Sant'Andrea that were completed surrounded by water; then the nuns of Santa Zita Institute rescued the people in San Donnino and Montelupo. They also were protagonists in the reclamation of the general markets in San Lorenzo by carcasses of animals that were decomposing as well as in the reclamation of squares and streets in downtown.
On 1st June 1991 it was named "Friuli" mechanized Brigade with its headquarter in Bologna. On 21st September 1991 it was given the honorary citizenship in Udine because the Castle of Udine was represented on its heraldry.
The Brigade was employed in the "Sicilian Vespers" Operation in 1992 and 1994. In 1993-1994 it participated in the "IBIS 2" UN mission in Somalia with two regiments (the 78th "Lupi di Toscana" Regiment and the 6th Bersaglieri Regiment).
In 1997 the "Friuli", as well as the "Folgore" and the "Garibaldi", became one of the Projection Forces to be employed out of the national territory. It was employed in the "Alba" Operation in Albania, in the area of Valona, in April-July 1997; from March to October 1998 it participated in the "Constant Forge" mission in Bosnia-Herzegovina as "Northern Multinational Brigade" with the headquarter in Sarajevo.
On 1st January 1999, with the reorganization of the Brigade from mechanized to airmobile brigade, the 7th "Vega" Army Aviation Regiment of Rimini passed to the dependencies of the "Friuli" Brigade. From 15th October 1999 to 12th April 2000 the Brigade became the command structure of the OTAN Force employed in the "Communication Zone West" of KFOR in Albania, for the "Joint Guardian" Operation.
On 1st May 2000, after having acquired the 5th "Rigel" Anti-Aircraft Regiment of Carsara, it was named "Friuli" Airmobile Brigade. On 1st December 2000 the Brigade passed to the dependencies of the 1st Defense Forces Command of Vittorio Veneto. From 6th September to 20th December 2004 the "Friuli" was part of the Italian Joint Task Force in Nassiriya (Iraq) for the "Antica Babilonia" Operation. From 23rd April to 9th October 2008 it constituted the Regional Command West of Heart for the "ISAF" Operation in Afghanistan. From 6th November 2009 to 6th May 2010 the Brigade constituted the Joint Task Force in Lebanon where it was responsible for the UNIFIL Sector West, for the "Leonte 7" Operation.
On 15th July 2013 the "Friuli" reconstituted as a Division headed by the Major General Flaviano Godio, with the headquarter in Florence, at the Predieri Barracks; since 1st October it has acquired the units at the dependencies of the 1st Defense Forces Command of Vittorio Veneto.