By the law of 29th June 1882, the "Friuli" Brigade was constituted on 1st November 1884 in Milan meanwhile the formation of the 87th and 88th Infantry Regiments. The Brigade fought honourably in the First World War.
On 28th December 1926 the Command Brigade was dissolved. In 1939 the 20th "Friuli" Infantry Division was formed and, at the outbreak of the Second World War, it included the 87th and the 88th Infantry Regiments as well as the 35th Artillery Regiments. Employed along the western border in 1940, it fought in Yugoslavia in 1941-1942 and then it was deployed in Corsica. After the armistice, the Division moved to Sardinia and then to the continent where on 20th September 1944 it was named "Friuli" Combat Group and participated in the War of Liberation.
One year later, on 15th October 1945 it retook the name of "Friuli" Infantry Division, maintaining the 87th and 88th Infantry Regiments, the 35th Artillery Regiment, the 120th Engineer Battalion and smaller units; the components were changed over the time until 15th April 1960 when, reduced to a Brigade, it lost its regiments and assumed to its ranks the 78th "Lupi di Toscana" Infantry Regiment, the "Friuli" Armoured Battalion, the "Friuli" Artillery Group for Campaign, the Engineer Company and the Signals Company.
With the reorganization of the Army, since 23rd September 1975 it was named "Friuli" Motorized Brigade and assumed to its dependencies the 78th "Lupi di Toscana", the 87th "Senio" and the 225th "Arezzo" Infantry Battalions, the 19th "M.O. Tumiati" Armoured Battalion, the 35th "Riolo" Artillery Group for Campaign and the "Friuli" Logistics Battalion.
On 1st January 1986 the "Friuli", along with the "Folgore" Paratroopers Brigade and the Units of the Light Aviation of the Army, entered the Rapid Deployable Forces that were inter-force units aiming to intervene immediately against threats on the national territory; the Rapid Deployable Forces could also provide forces with tasks related to the international security, such as the training of peacekeepers or security forces.
In 1991 the Brigade changed its components and since 1st June it became the "Friuli" Mechanized Brigade with a Command, a Command and Signals Unit, the 66th "Valtellina" Mechanized Infantry Battalion, the 78th "Lupi di Toscana" Mechanized Infantry Battalion, the 225th "Arezzo" Infantry Battalion, the 10th "Bezzacca" Bersaglieri Battalion, the 11th "M.O. Calzecchi" Tanks Regiment, the 21st "Romagna" Artillery Group for self-propelled Campaign, a Logistics Battalion, a Health Unit and smaller units. Since 18th September 1992 the 11th Regiment became 4th Tanks regiment and other units became regiments; for that reason, since 1st January 1993 the Brigade included: a Command, a Command and Signals Unit, the 78th "Lupi di Toscana" Infantry Regiment, the 6th Bersaglieri Regiment, the 4th Tanks Regiment, the 225th "Arezzo" Regiment, the 66th "Valtellina" Mechanized Battalion, the 21st "Romagna" self-propelled Artillery Group, a Logistics Battalion, an Engineer Company and a Health Unit.
On 29th September 1992, during the gathering of the fighters of the War for Liberation, the Brigade was given the "honorary citizenship" by the Municipality Council of Udine.
In September 1993 the Command Unit included the Engineer Company becoming Command and Tactical Supports Unit, the 4th Tanks Regiment became 33rd, the 66th Infantry Battalion became 66th "Trieste" Infantry Regiment, the 21st Group became 21st "Trieste" Artillery Regiment for self-propelled Campaign, the 225th "Arezzo" Regiment passed to the dependencies of the Region Command and it was substituted by the 121st "Macerata" Regiment.
After having lost the 33rd Tanks Regiment, the 121st "Macerata" Regiment and the 21st "Trieste" Regiment, in 1997 it assumed at its ranks the 3rd "Cavalry Savoy" Regiment and on 1st January 1999 the 7th "Vega" Army Aviation Regiment, located in Rimini.
On 1st May 2000, after the 5th "Riger" Air Cavalry Regiment of Casarsa (PN), the Great Unit was named "Friuli" Airmobile Brigade. Since 1st January 2005 it has lost the 6th Bersaglieri Regiment.