"Avanti è la vita"
The 8th Engineer Regiment was constituted on 20th October 1926 after the redenomination of the preexistent 7th Army Corps Engineer Regiment located in Rome.
It was dissolved on 8th September 1943.
On 11th September 1992 it was reconstituted in Villa Vicentina (UD) as 8th Sappers Engineer Regiment for transformation of the 184th "Santerno" Sappers Engineer Battalion that was part of the "Folgore" Mechanized Division.
Assigned to the Engineer Command of the 5th Army Corps, it provided personnel for the "Pellicano" Operation, before being dissolved again on 30th November 1995.
On 13th October 2004 it was reconstituted in Legnano (VR) for transformation of the 8th "Folgore" Paratroopers Sappers Engineer Battalion that derived from the preexistent 5th "Bolsena" Paratroopers Sappers Engineer Battalion. The 5th Battalion had absorbed the "Folgore" Paratroopers Sappers Engineer Company that already was an independent unit of the Brigade included in the Tactical Supports and Command Unit.
In the first months of 1941 the 8th Paratroopers Battalion was constituted in Tarquinia. Organized as an infantry unit on three riflemen companies (21st, 22nd and 23rd), after the training phase for the air launch, it left Tarquinia to go to Civitavecchia where in May 1942 it was changed into the new specialty of the Infantry Sappers.
Included in the 1st Paratroopers Division, the Battalion reached the northern Africa where it was deployed in the sector of El-Alamein and it formed the "Ruspoli" Tactical Group of the Division, along with the 7th Battalion of the 186th.
During the epical clash in El-Alamein, the Battalion gave proof of its preparation and determination, led by its first Commander Lieutenant Colonel Giulio Burzi (Officer of the Bersaglieri and awarded with a Silver Medal to the Military Valour in the First World War). The Unit remained with a few elements but it faced the retreat of the front.