"Savoye bonnes nouvelles"
By decree of 23rd July 1692 the "Savoy" Cavalry Regiment was constituted. It participated in the war of Augusta and it was dissolved on 22nd November 1699. Reconstituted on 14th April 1701, it fought in the War of Succession in Spain, Poland and Austria. In September 1774 it also participated in the constitution of the "Aosta" Regiment. It was employed from 1792 to 1796 in the war against France. On 9th December 1798 it passed in service for the Piedmont Republic. Sent to Casalmaggiore, it was designated as 6th Cavalry Regiment. Dissolved in 1799, its squadrons were absorbed in the 2nd and 4th Piedmont Dragons Regiment.
On 1st December 1814 it was reconstituted as "Savoy" Cavalry Regiment and on 23rd June 1819 passed to the Light Cavalry with the name of "Savoy" Cavalrymen Regiment. On 3rd January 1832 it formed the "Savoy" Cavalry Regiment fighting in the First War of Independence. On 3rd January 1850 it became line cavalry and participated in the constitution of the "Monferrato Cavalrymen" Regiment. It changed its name several times between 1859 and 1897, participating in the Second and Third War of Independence, in the conquest of Rome, the fight against bandits in southern Italy and the Campaigns in Eritrea.
In 1903, on the occasion of the 9th centenary of the Savoy House, the King gave the Regiment a special patch consisting in small flags to put on the trumpets during ceremonies with the troop and on the uniform. During the War in 1915-1918 the Regiment formed the 1497th gunner company. After the reduction of the Cavalry regiments in 1919, the 2nd "Savoy" Squadrons Group was named "Lancers of Vercelly" and in 1920 it incorporated a squadron of the "Lancers of Vittorio Emanuele II" Regiment, inheriting the traditions of the dissolved "Lancers of Vercelli" Regiment and changing its name into "Savoy" Cavalry Regiment. In 1923 the Regiment adopted the red necktie as distinctive element instead of the red edge on the collar of the jacket.
At the beginning of the Second World War the Regiment was included in the 3rd "Prince Amedeo Duke of Aosta" Rapid Division and sent to Russia where it was protagonist of the historical Jsbuschenskij attack. After the events determined by the Armistice, on 8th September 1943 the Regiment was dissolved in Emilia.
On 15th October 1946 the 3rd Explorer Cavalrymen Group was constituted, giving it the colours, the decoration and the number of the dissolved Regiment. On 15th April 1950 it became 3rd "Gorizia Cavalry" Armoured Cavalry Regiment; on 4th November 1958 it was called again 3rd "Savoy" Cavalry Regiment and on 4th November 1961 the red necktie was readopted instead of the red edge of the flames. After the reorganization of the Army, on 11th October 1975 the unit was reorganized in 3rd "Savoy" Cavalry Armoured Squadrons Group in Merano, with the personnel of the dissolved regiment.
On the framework of the reorganization of the Armed Force, the squadrons group was reconstituted on 23rd May 1992 as 3rd "Savoy" Cavalry Regiment and since 1995 it has moved to Grosseto where it substituted the preexistent 9th "Lancers of Florence" Regiment.