The Command was constituted in January 2001 on the base of the pre-existent Projection Forces Command that originated from the 3rd Army Corps. The history of the Third is linked to that of the 3rd Great Military Command, constituted on 1st April 1860 in Parma after the reorganization of the Army. It had territorial functions but, in case of war, it could became an Army Corps Command. Under its jurisdiction there was the territory of Emilia region bounded by the rivers Trebbia and Panaro.
Dissolved on 1st September 1865, by decree of 25th June, it mobilized as 3rd Army Corps in June 1866 for the third War of Independence, until august 1867.
On 14th June 1869 the General Command of the 3rd Army Corps was constituted; in 1873 it was changed into 3rd General Command and since 22nd March 1877 into 3rd Army Corps. It had territorial tasks, except in periods of mobilization during war campaigns.
In September 1943, after the armistice, it was dissolved.
On 15th June 1945 the 3rd Territorial Military Command was formed in Milan and since 1st July 1957 it has become 3rd Army Corps Command.
On 1st October 1997 it started to change becoming Projection Forces Command and it assumed at its dependencies the "Friuli" Mechanized Brigade, the "Garibaldi" Bersaglieri Brigade, the "Folgore" Paratroopers Brigade with supports by the 10th Engineer Regiment, the 3rd "Aldebaran" Air Cavalry Regiment, the 33rd "Ambrosiano" manoeuvre logistic Regiment, the "Serenissima" Marines Regiment, the 26th "Bergamo" Regiment and the 121st "Macerata" Regiment.
Since 1st December 2000 it has been reorganized as a planning command, giving the 1st and 2nd FOD its operational pawns.
In 2001, after the request by NATO to have high operational readiness commands, the Projection Forces Command was reorganized as Rapid Deployable Corps with an intense training activity that gave it the Certification for Full Operational Capability in December 2002 and it was named NATO Rapid Deployable Corps (NRDC-Italy).