The Southern Maintenance Centre was instituted in 1998 after a reorganization of STAVECO (Combat Vehicles Factory) in Nola and the merger of the previous AEN (Army Arsenal of Naples). Since 1st January 1999 the Southern Maintenance Centre has adopted its organization chart by employing the personnel of the previous STAVECO and the Arsenal of Naples.
The Centre was built on the place of the previous STAVECO of Nola where since 1st October 1954 there had been the ORMEC (Armoured Vehicles Repair Lab).
The new organization of the Centre, at the dependencies of the Army Logistic Inspectorate, had different tasks such as the "maintenance" of weapons or the "general revision".
It has to maintain the weapons that it is responsible for: artillery, optics, electronics, opto-electronics, NBC system and signals.