The Regiment was constituted in Rome in August 1920, from the 7th Automobile Centre for the 7th Army Corps; later it was dissolved and included in the 7th Transports Group, organized in a command, an auto group, a train group and deposit.
On 31st October 1926 even the group was dissolved and in the same time it was created the 8th Automobile Centre in Rome which included the 7th Automobile Group.
On 1st July 1942 the unit changed its name into 8th Drivers Regiment until September 1943, after the events determined by the armistice.
During the Second World War the Regiment became a centre for training and mobilization and, through the deposit in Rome and in Terni, it organized and mobilize transport units and automobile techniques.
In the postwar, on 17th February 1947 the 8th Drivers Centre was formed in Rome organized in a command, 8th Automobile Unit, 8th Mechanic workshop, 8th Efficient Vehicles Park, fuel deposit and deposit.
When the Centre was dissolved on 31st December 1964, the 8th Automobile Unit became independent and passed at the dependencies of the Motorization Directorate of the 8th Territorial Military Command of the Central Military Region, changing the name into 8th Maneuver Mixed Automobile Unit.
On 30th October 1984 the 8th "Casilina" Transports Battalion was constituted in Rome as a unit to employ for the transports of the Transports and Materials Services Command of the Central Military Region. The unit was organized into a command, a command and services company, a mixed transports company and a special transports company. The new command received the traditions of the 8th Drivers Regiment and its war Flag.
With the reorganization of the transports component of the Army, on 27th April 1998 the unit became a regiment with the functions of Transports Central Unit.