The National Selection and Recruitment Centre of the Army was constituted on 1st October 1996 in Foligno (PG).
At first it depended on the Schools Inspectorate but then, when the latter merged with the Army Inspectorate, it passed at the dependencies of the newly formed Inspectorate for the Training and Specialization. After a further measure it passed at the dependencies of the Inspectorate for the Recruitment and the Completion Forces that has become today Army Territory Command.
In the Barracks of Foligno there had been units of the campaign Army, almost always linked to the Artillery Corps. The first unit to enter the Barracks was the 1st "Cacciatore delle Alpi" Artillery campaign Regiment, from its constitution up to 1943.
In the post-war the Barracks was used by the 18th Artillery Regiment and by the Cadet Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers Artillery School that was suppressed in 1981 and substituted by the 92nd "Basilicata" training recruits battalion.
After having been changed into a Regiment in 1992, the 92nd was dissolved on 30th June 1996 and substituted by the Selection Centre.
Silver Cross to the Army Merit
Decree of 15th
Constituted on 1st October 1996, after some technical and organizational difficulties, it has carried out the selection and recruitment activities of military personnel with efficiency. Its personnel has operated with competence, sense of responsibility and spirit of sacrifice in order to find more capable and motivated young people. Clear example of military virtues and professionalism, the Centre has provided a competition for the planning and implementation of the selection procedures of the Italian Army personnel, gaining admiration also at an international level.
October 1996 – 7th