The history of the Central Military Region Command started in 1870 when in Rome it was reunited with the rest of Italy, determining the peak of our Risorgimento. On 15th August 1870 an Army Corps was constituted with the name of 4th Army Corps, as the first Command of Great Unit of the Italian Army in Rome after the fall of the Papal State.
After having been changed into Army Corps General Command in 1871, it took the number of 5th in 1873 with jurisdiction on Rome, Perugia and Florence (later substituted by Chieti) Divisions.
In 1877, after the formation of ten Army Corps Commands with territorial and administrative tasks in peacetime and mobilization in wartime, the 7th Army Corps Command was located in the Capital and the Territorial Military Divisions of Rome and Chieti passed at its dependencies.
In 1883 it changed its name into 9th Army Corps and, after the constitution of the Sardinia Military Command, it had not other changes until 1926.
Employed in the First World War, the 9th Army Corps gathered in Cadore where it was deployed along the line of Croda Grande – San Pellegrino – Marmolada – Monte Poré – southern slopes of the Tofàne, preparing the overcoming of the Austro-Hungarian barriers that they had attacked many times conquering the massif of Col di Lana; on 7th November the peak of the massive was conquered.
Later there have been bloody years until the victory of the 9th Corps on 3rd November 1918 in Pergine (TN).
After the returning of the victorious Army, the Rome Command became 7th Army Corps Command including the territorial Divisions of Rome (19th), Livorno (20th), Perugia (21st) and Cagliari (22nd). Since 1st January 1927 it became 8th Army Corps, constituted of the 21st (Rome) and 22nd (Perugia) Divisions.
After the outbreak of the war, the 8th Army Corps was employed in the battle of Western Alps (21st – 24th June 1940) but it could not go into action because of the rapid end of hostilities. Four months later the Corps was moved to Albania and passed at the dependencies of the 11th Army, until the armistice.
Meanwhile in Rome, after the mobilization of the 8th Corps, the command functions have been performed by the Territorial Defence Command.
The Territorial Defence Command of Rome, at the dependencies of the 8th Corps Command, had jurisdiction in Rome, Florence, Perugia, Pisa and Ancona. In 1936 the Territorial Defence Command was constituted.
The political military events in 1943 determined an uncertain and confuse situation, leading up to the capitulation of Rome occupied by Germans.
After the liberation of Rome, Lazio-Umbria-Abruzzo Military Command had to deal with the military organization of the city.
In June 1946 the 8th Territorial Military Command was formed in Rome with jurisdiction on the Military Zones of Rome and Perugia; since 1st July 1957 it assumed the name of Central Military Region – 8th Territorial Military Command.
In the same year, its territorial jurisdiction was extended to Lazio, Abruzzo, Umbria, Sardinia and to the provinces of Macerata and Ascoli in the Region of Marche.
On 31st December 1981 the Central Military Region transferred the jurisdiction on Sardinia to the Sardinia Military Command.
Since 1st April 1983 the 8th Rome Military Command was named Central Military Region Command, including in its territory the Bodies and Units in the provinces of Pesaro and Ancona that were at the dependencies of the Tosco-Emiliana military Region.
In occasion of a reorganization in 1991, the Zone Military Command were suppressed while the following Territorial Operational Commands were formed: the 10th, on the "Acqui" Command Brigade and with jurisdiction on Abruzzo; the 12th located in Perugia, with jurisdiction on the Regions of Umbria and Marche. The Region of Lazio remained under the jurisdiction of the Central Military Region Command.
On 1st July 1998, after the suppression of the Central Military Region Command, the Territorial Military Command of Lazio was constituted, at the dependencies of the Region Military Centre whose Command was located in Florence.
Since January 2002 the name has changed into Capital Military Command with functions of Recruitment Command and Interregional Reserve Forces Centre; it has extended its jurisdiction to the Administrative Regions of Umbria, Abruzzo, Emilia Romagna, Marche and Tuscany.
Since 30th June 2007 the Command has been reorganized into Military Region Centre and Capital Military Command with territorial jurisdiction on the Administrative Regions of Lazio, Umbria, Abruzzo, Emilia Romagna, Marche and Tuscany, at the dependencies of the Military Command for the Territory of the Army (COMTER) located in Florence.
Since 29th June 2009, after the reorganization of the COMTER area, the Military Region Centre and Capital Military Command maintained the jurisdiction on the Administrative Region of Lazio. The Command is at the dependencies of the Chief of General Staff of the Army.