Lieutenant General Federico BONATO attended the Military Academy of Modena in 1977-1979 and the Application School of Turin in 1981.
With the rank of First Lieutenant for the Alpine specialty, he was assigned to the 34th Company of the "Susa" Alpine Battalion in Oulx.
He has performed Command activities at:
- the "Bassano" Alpine Battalion in San Candido as Commander of the 62nd and 129th Company (1985/1988);
- the "Susa" Alpine Battalion as Commander of the 34th Company in Oulx (1988/1991);
- the Cadet Officers Battalion in Aosta (1996/1997);
- the 3rd Alpine Regiment in Pinerolo (2002/2004) with whom he was employed in Afghanistan as Commander of the Italian Battle Group, from September 2002 to January 2003;
- the "Taurinense" Alpine Brigade (2007/2009) with whom he was employed in Afghanistan as Commander of the Regional Command Capital, from December 2007 to August 2008.
He has attended the 116th Course for General Staff and the 116th Upper Course for General Staff at the War School in Civitavecchia; he has held staff and general staff positions at the "Susa" Alpine Battalion, the 4th Alpine Corps in Bolzano where he was also Chief of General Staff (2005-2007) and at the Operational Land Forces Command in Verona as Operational Deputy Chief (2009-2010).
He also served in the position of G3 Deputy Chief at the KFOR Command in Pristina, from October 2001 to May 2002.
From August 2010 to June 2013 he was Chief of Staff of the Deployable Joint Staff Element at the NATO Command in Madrid (Force Command Madrid); in that period, from January 2012 to January 2013, he was employed as Deputy Chief of Staff for Stability Operation at the Headquarters of the ISAF Operation in Kabul.
From July 2013 to September 2014 he held the position of Alpine Troops Deputy Commander and "Tridentina" Division Commander.
Since 13th September 2014 he is the Alpine Troops Commander.
Lieutenant General Bonato is married to Mrs. Nicoletta and they have got three children.