It descends from the 3rd Alpine Group, constituted in Belluno by the law 7th March 1923.
In 1926 the 3rd Alpine Brigade was constituted including the 8th and 9th Alpine Regiments and the 3rd mountain Artillery Regiment. In October 1934 the command brigade assumed the name of Alpine High Command but it was changed in December into 3rd "Julio". On 10th September 1935 the 3rd Alpine Division was formed and the 3rd Alpine Artillery was added along with the two alpine regiments.
The Division became famous for the heroic behaviour of its men during the hard and unfortunate Campaign in Greece, followed by the Campaign in Russia where the "Julia" lost most of its men in the winter 1942-1943. The Great Unit was dissolved in September 1943 after the armistice.
On 15th October 1949 the Great Unit was reconstituted in Udine with the 8th Alpine Regiment, the "Belluno" Mountain Artillery Group and an Anti-Tanks Artillery Group of 57/50. The components were expanded in 1950 with the Platoon Command Brigade and a Connections Company and the 3rd Mountain Artillery Regiment in 1951, an Anti-Aircrafts Light Artillery Group and an Engineer Company.
Since 1st January 1952 "Julia" has got the Command, the Platoon Command, the 8th Alpine Regiment, the 3rd Mountain Artillery Regiment, the "Conegliano" Group of 100/17, the Anti-Tanks Group of 57/50, the Light Anti-Aircrafts Group of 40/56, an Engineer Company and a Connections Company.
In 1954 it assumed at its dependencies the 11th Border Group (that included the 12th Group, then become 5th Barriers Group), a Training Battalion for the 7th and 8th Alpines and a Recruits Training Group for the 3rd and 6th Mountain Artillery (moved in 1955). In August 1958 the Light Aircrafts Section of the 3rd Mountain Artillery Regiment was assigned to the Command Brigade and during the years following it underwent partial changes.
With the reorganization of the Army, on 1st October 1975 the component of the Great Unit was changed and it included: Command and Signal Unit; "Gemona", "Cividale", "Tolmezzo", "L'Aquila" and "Vicenza" Alpine Battalions; "Val Tagliamento" Alpine Battalion; "Conegliano", "Belluno" and "Udine" Mountain Artillery Groups; an Engineer Company; an Anti-Tanks Company; the Services Group, dissolved on 1st May 1976 and substituted by the "Julia" Logistic Battalion.
The "Julia" Brigade has been awarded with the Gold Medal to Civil Valour by the Minister of Interior for its work in occasion of the earthquake in Friuli.
Moreover, the Brigade intervened in 1980 in Irpinia to support the population after the earthquake of 23rd November. On 31st October 1989 the "Belluno" Mountain Artillery Group was dissolved and on 4th September 1991 the "L'Aquila" Alpine Battalion assumed the name of "L'Aquila" Alpine Regiment; on 6th December the "Udine" Group became Anti-Tanks Artillery Group.
In 1992 the 8th (based on "Gemona" Battalion) and 9th (based on "L'Aquila" Battalion) Alpine Regiments and the 3rd Mountain Artillery Regiment (based on "Conegliano" Group) were reconstituted, while the 15th Alpine Regiment (based on "Cividale" Battalion) was formed; on 26th September the "Val Tagliamento" Alpine Battalion was dissolved.
In 1993 the Brigade included: Command and Tactical Supports Unit; 8th, 9th, 14th (based on "Tolmezzo" Battalion) and 15th Alpine Regiments; 3rd Mountain Artillery Regiment; "Vicenza" Battalion; "Udine" Light Anti-Tanks Group; "Julia" Logistic Battalion.
After the dissolution of the 15th Regiment and the "Udine" Anti-Aircrafts Group, the "Julia" began a multinational collaboration with Hungary and Slovenia. In 2002 the "Tridentina" Brigade gave the 5th Alpine Regiment to the "Julia" that in 2005 lost the 14th Regiment.