"O là.... o rompi"
Constituted on 1st October 1909 with the "Tolmezzo", "Gemona" and "Cividale" Battalions, the 8th Alpine Troopers Regiment has been protagonist in the history of the Alpine Troopers having linked its identity to that of the glorious "Julia" Division.
Employed in Libya in 1911-1912, it fought in the 1st World War on the trentino front. After having been mobilized for Eastern Africa (1935-1936), it was deployed in Albania since 1939, included in the new-formed (1935) 3rd "Julia" Alpine Troopers Division.
At the outbreak of the hostilities (1940) it fought on the Greek front (1940-1941) and in Russia (1942-1943) where it showed heroism and humanity in the tragic retreat.
Returned to Italy after the armistice, the Regiment was reconstituted on 1st April 1946 and included in the "Julia" with the "Gemona" Battalion.
Since 1997 the Command and three companies of the Regiment are located in Cividale del Friuli (UD) while the Battalion is located in Venzone (UD).
In the postwar it has participated in "public order" operations in the regions of Sicily and Calabria; in 1993-1994 it substituted the "Taurinense" Brigade in Mozambique on the framework of the "Albatros" Mission.