"Ad excelsa tendo"
The 7th "Belluno" Alpine Troopers Regiment was officially constituted on 1st August 1887 in Conegliano Veneto, by Royal Decree on 10th July 1887 establishing the new components of the Alpine Troopers Corps.
In 1908 it participated in the rescue operations in favour of the population hit by the earthquake in the regions of Calabria and Sicily, earning a medal to the merit. The 1910 the "Belluno" Battalion was formed and the "Tolmezzo" and "Gemona" Battalions were included in the 8th Alpine Troopers Regiment, constituted in 1909. Since 1910 the 7th Regiment included the "Feltre", "Pieve di Cadore" and "Belluno" Battalions. In 1912 the "Feltre" Battalion disembarked in Tripoli on 23rd September and participated in all the campaign of Libya, earning a Silver Medal to the Military Valour. On 17th August 1914 it returned to the Homeland. During the campaign of Libya the 7th Alpine Troopers Regiment, with the battalions remained in Italy, provided complements to the "Saluzzo", "Fenestrelle", "Edolo" and "Verona" Battalions.
In January 1915, a little less before Italy intervened in the 1st World War, the Regiment mobilized the "Val Cismon", "Val Piave" and "Val Cordevole" Battalions as well as the "Feltre" and "Cadore" Companies of Alpine Trooper Volunteers; in 1916 it mobilized the "Monte Pavione" Battalion. In June 1917 it formed the "Monte Marmolada" skiers Battalion. With the three permanent battalions the 7th Alpine Troopers Regiment had 9 battalions that participated in different areas of the alpine front during the war 1915-1918. The Flag of the Regiment was decorated with a silver medal for the attitude of the "Monte Pavione" Battalion in Val Calcino in December 1917 and another silver medal for the actions of "Monte Marmolada" Battalion in November and December 1917 on Monte Tonderecar in Castelgomberto. It also earned a bronze medal on Grappa thanks to the "Feltre" and "Val Cismon" Battalions. Moreover, for the war campaign the Regiment was given a Knight Cross of the Military Order of Savoy. In 1919-1920 the "Feltre" Battalion participated in the operations in Albania; in 1921 it became part of the 9th Alpine Troopers Regiment until 1926.
From 12th January 1936 to 14th April 1937 the 7th Alpine Troopers Regiment, composed of the "Feltre", "Exilles" and "Pieve di Teco" Battalions, participated in the Italian-Ethiopian war; the "Pieve di Cadore" and "Belluno" Battalions, remained in Homeland, constituted the 12th Alpine Troopers Regiment. In 1936 in Africa the 7th Regiment formed the "Uork Amba" Battalion that earned another bronze medal. For the campaign in Ethiopia the 7th Regiment was decorated with a Knight Cross of the Military Order of Savoy.
In April 1937 the 7th was reconstituted in Homeland with the "Feltre", "Pieve di Cadore" and "Belluno" Battalions. A little less before the outbreak of the Second World War, in September 1939, the "Val Cismon", "Val Piave", "Val Cordevole" Battalions and the 522nd position gunner Company were reconstituted. In June 1940, with the four "Feltre", "Pieve di Cadore", "Belluno" and "Val Cismon" Battalions it participated in the campaign in Greece where its Commander died deserving 4 silver medals (one for each battalion). Meanwhile in Africa the "Uork Amba" Battalion earned a silver medal before being defeated by the enemy forces. In June 1941 the Regiment was moved to Montenegro where it fought hard until August 1942 when it returned to the Homeland. Two months later it went to France to be deployed in Provence where it started to be repatriated in September 1943 and dissolved in Piedmont.
Reconstituted on 1st July 1953 in Belluno, the Regiment followed the destiny of the "Cadore" Brigade. Today, after the "Cadore" Brigade was dissolved in 1994, the Regiment is located in Belluno and, including the "Feltre" Alpine Troopers Battalion, it is part of the "Julia" Brigade.