"Nec videar dum sim"
On 1st November 1882 the 5th Alpine Troopers Regiment was constituted with the "Val Dora", "Moncenisio" and "Valtellina" Battalions.
In 1886 the dependent battalions changed their names into "Morbegno", "Tirano" and "Edolo". In 1887-1888 it sent the 48th Company to Eritrea. Protagonist of the study about the adoption of the "grey-green" with the "Morbegno" Battalion and its "grey platoon", it sent the "Edolo" Battalion in Libya in 1911-1912.
It participated in the First World War fighting on Adamello, Ortigara and Baisizza. In 1921 it was included in the 2nd Alpine Division that became Alpine Troopers Group in 1923 and Alpine Brigade in 1926.
Since 1935, with the 6th Alpine Troopers and 2nd Alpine Artillery Regiment, it was included in the 2nd "Tridentina" Alpine Division dissolved on 10th September 1943 in Fortezza (BZ) where it was reorganized after having returned from the Russian front. In addition to Russia, it was also present on the western front and in Greece.
The 5th Alpine Troopers Regiment was formed again on 1st January 1953, included in the "Orobica" Alpine Brigade; with the reorganization of the Army, on 30th November 1975 it was dissolved and gave the "Morbegno" Alpine Troopers Battalion Flag and traditions. On 27th July 1991, when the "Orobica" Brigade was dissolved, it was included in the "Tridentina".
On 8th August 1992 the Battalion was included in the reconstituted 5th Alpine Troopers Regiment.
In 2011, when the "Tridentina" Alpine Brigade was dissolved, the Regiment entered the "Julia" Brigade.