"Venustus et Audax"
It derives from the Regiment of Cavaglià, constituted on 23rd July 1692 and in the same year it was named "Royal Piemonte" Cavalry Regiment. On 9th December 1798 the Regiment was sent to Monza as 4th Cavalry Regiment. In January 1799 it changed its name into 4th Piedmont Dragons Regiment but in May it was dissolved. In July 1814 the "Royal Piemonte Cavalry" Regiment was reconstituted.
It was given different names: "Piemonte Cuirassiers" Regiment on 19th October 1859, "Royal Piemonte Cavalry" Regiment on 6th June 1860, 2nd Cavalry Regiment (Royal Piemonte) on 10th September 1871, 2nd "Royal Piemonte" Cavalry Regiment on 5th November 1876 and 2nd "Royal Piemonte Cavalry" Regiment on 16th December 1897.
On 20th May 1920 it was named "Royal Piemonte Cavalry" Regiment. On 12th September 1943, after the armistice, the Regiment was dissolved in Turin along with the other mobilized units.
On 16th November 1946 the 2nd Explorer Cavalry Group was constituted, taking the colours, the decoration and the number of the dissolved regiment. Named "Piemonte" Armoured Cavalry Group in December 1948, since 15th May 1949 it has been changed into 2nd "Piemonte Cavalry" Armoured Cavalry Regiment. On 4th November 1958 it was renamed with the traditional 2nd "Piemonte Cavalry" Regiment, until 1st October 1975 when it was dissolved to form the 2nd "Piemonte" Cavalry Mechanized Squadrons Group in Villa Opicina and the 9th "Lancers of Florence" Tanks Squadrons Group. On 1st August 1991 the Squadrons Group formed the 2nd "Piemonte Cavalry" Regiment whose institution was established on 1st August 1992 with the current name. Today the Regiment is employed in overseas operations and in Homeland.