May - 1st
Anniversary of the first big automobile transports of units in the Battle of the Highlands (1916).
PATRON SAINT: San Cristoforo Martyr (27th
FLAG CONCESSION: 7th
June 1938 (Labaro concession).
It originates from the nucleus of soldiers dedicated to the driving of petrol automobiles constituted in 1902 in the railway pioneers Brigade of the Engineer Corps; the nucleus became a section in 1906 and battalion in 1910.
It was formed the Automotive Service that had its baptism of fire in Libya during the Italian-Turkish conflict. More than 300 vehicles were employed in the campaign of 1911-1912.
In 1914, in anticipation of the impending conflict, it was extended to the all Army at the dependencies of the Internal General Direction Stages. For that conflict the branch could count on 100.000 men and 35.000 vehicles.
In 1923 the Military Transports Service was instituted and in 1926 it became Military Automotive Service, while in 1935 it was named Automotive Corps.
In 1946 it retook the name of Automotive Service until 1st October 1981 when it became Automotive Army Corps and the Transports and Materials Command was form, including the Command of the Automotive Corps and the Command of the Armament Material Services.
After the constitution of the Logistic Inspectorate of the Army, the Corps was transformed into Transports and Materials Army on 1st January 1998.