June - Anniversary of the Battle of Piave (1918).PATRON SAINT
: San Gabriele Arcangelo (29th
: decree of 30th
It was created as Engineer Specialty and in 1883 two telegraphers brigades were inserted in the 3rd Engineer Regiment, prelude to the transformation into telegraphers regiment. The creation of that unit mobilized the mass of the units for the connections during the First World War. After having recognized the validity and the importance of units for the exclusive management of the connections, between 1918 and 1919 a new telegraphers regiment was constituted as well as telegraphers battalions of Army Corps (from 1919 to 1926) and since 1926 two radio telegraphers regiments that were dissolved in 1932 determining the framing of battalions in Engineer regiments.
During the Second World War telegraphers, radio telegraphers and teleradio companies were mobilized as well as mixed battalions and companies inserted in the Engineer mixed battalions.
After the war, following the technological development, the Specialty became very important. On 16th May 1953 the Connection Engineer Specialty was named Signal Specialty becoming independent. As a consequence, among the big units, signals battalions and companies were created.
By the law of 30th December 1997, the Signals Corps was constituted and it is now composed of 11 regiments divided into a Signals and Information Command of the Army, 4 Signals Brigades and a signals component of the Command Units.
As provided by the Ministerial Decree of 1st June 1999, the new Signals Corps is well-structured on two specialties: specialists in telematics and specialists in electronic war.