The Signals regiments has followed the history of the Engineer Corps for at least seventy years. The 3rd Regiment (1883), that today is located at Forte Trionfale in Rome, is the oldest of those become "Telegraphers" in the new Corps.
The specialty became Corps in 1953, organized in regiments and battalions deployed in different levels of the Command chain.
In 1975 it was reorganized in battalions named as the mountain passes. The law of 30th December 1997 ratified the constitution of the Signals in Corps and since 1st June 1999 it has been divided into two specialties: Telematic and Electronic War.
At present the regiments and battalions are 13 and their Flags are awarded with 1 Silver Medal, 1 Bronze Medal to the Military Valour, 1 Gold Cross and 1 Silver Cross to the Army Merit.