The Veterinary Corps of the Army was constituted on 27th June 1861 when, after the Unification of Italy, all Military Veterinaries of the pre-unification Armies were gathered under a single Command. At the beginning the Military Veterinary Corps was at the dependencies of the Medical Corps.
With the law of 9th May 1940 it was reorganized in Military Veterinary Service of the Army.
In 1969 the Veterinary of the Army received the War Flag. In 1981 it assumed the name of Veterinary Corps of the Army. After the reorganization of the Logistics in the Armed Force in 1997 that led up to the constitution of the Logistic Inspectorate, the Corps Command was deleted on 20th April and it passed at the dependencies of the Chief of Medical and Veterinary Department.
Since 1st January 1998 the personnel of the Corps with that of the previous Military Medical Corps constituted the Medical Corps of the Army.