The Military Medical Corps was constituted on 4th June 1833 when Carlo Alberto reorganized the pre-existent Military Medical Service of the Army.
The name "Military Medical Corps" was used only since 1845 when the Corps was reorganized into a Doctors Role and a Pharmacists role.
The Corps followed the vicissitudes of the Story of Italy, receiving the appreciation of military and civilian people in the most difficult national events.
By decree of 17th October 1920 it received the "Labaro" as symbol of the Corps that, since 4th May 1940, has been called Military Medical Service. In 1981 the name was changed into Military Medical Corps.
After the organization of the Logistics of the Armed Force in 1997 that led up to the constitution of the Logistic Inspectorate, the Corps Command was deleted and it passed at the dependencies of the Chief of Medical and Veterinary Department.
Since 1st January 1998 the personnel of the Corps with that of the previous Veterinary Corps constituted the Medical Corps of the Army.