CELEBRATION: 24th May - Anniversary of the beginning of the First World War for Italy (1915).
PATRON SAINT: San Martino (11th November).
FLAG CONCESSION: decree of 23rd March 1982.
It originates from the Savoy Infantry whose first units were constituted in 1619 by Carlo Emanuele I; six regiments were organized only in 1664, each with the name of the State provinces except for the "Guards".
On 9th December 1798, after the French occupation in Piedmont, Carlo Emanuele IV released his troops from the oath of allegiance, except for the Sardinia Regiment.
With the restoration in 1814, the Infantry regiments were reconstituted reaching the number of 20 in 1839, with four temporary regiments for the campaign of 1848.
It was already organized in two specialties, the Line Infantry and the Grenadiers, but during the time it gave rise to new Corps such as the Bersaglieri on 18th June 1836 and the Alpines on 15th October 1872.
With subsequent regulations there was an increase of the complements up to the maximum level after the State territorial annexations and expansions: on the eve of the First World War the Infantry Regiments were 94 plus two Grenadiers regiments, 12 Bersaglieri regiments and 8 Alpines regiments.
During the War the regiments became 244 (21 Bersaglieri regiments and 88 Alpines battalions), included in 120 Infantry Brigades. At the end of the conflict, for which all the units were awarded with the Military Order of Italy, most of the regiments constituted were dissolved except those awarded with the Gold Medal to the Military Valor.
By regulation of 1926, the Infantry regiments were 90, divided into thirty Brigades.
In 1927 the first units of the Tank Drivers Specialty, become today a Cavalry Specialty, were constituted.
After the subsequent reform, the Army adopted binary Divisions and the Infantry adjusted 119 regiments included in 59 Divisions. During the conflict until 1943 other 43 regiments would be constituted.
Since 1938 the Paratroopers specialty has been constituting, showing its valour in war. During the War of Liberation several units participated in the battles: the 1st Motorized Group, the Italian Corps of Liberation and six Combat Groups ("Friuli", "Folgore", "Legnano", "Mantova", "Cremona" and "Piceno") with eight auxiliary Divisions.
In the second post-war, the Infantry followed the development of the Armed Force. In November 1945 the existent units became part of the Transition Army that in three years gave rise to the new Armed Force.
In 1951 the Marines Specialty was constituted in Venice.
After the creation of independent Battalions in 1975, it was transformed during the nineties. By Decree of 23rd March 1982 also the Infantry Army received the War Flag guarded by the Commander of the Infantry School.
Today the Infantry has the following specialties: Grenadiers, Alpines, Paratroopers and Marines.