October - Anniversary of the battle in Pozzuolo del Friuli (1917).PATRON SAINT
: San Giorgio (23rd
: decree of 23rd
The Cavalry of the Italian Army originates from the Savoy Cavalry where the first regiments "Dragons of His Highness" and "Dragons of Royal Madame" were organized in 1668.
After a century of changes in components, in 1774 four Dragons regiments and four Lancers regiments were formed; they were dissolved by Carlo Emanuele IV on 9th December 1798, after the French occupation in Piedmont. Only the "Dragons of Sardinia" was not dissolved.
With the restoration, in May 1814 the reconstitution of the cavalry regiments restarted and they became nine regiments divided into four line cavalry regiments and five light cavalry. After the annexations and until the First World War they continued to increase up to thirty units at the end of the conflict.
The Squadrons fought on foot, in the trenches, showing their valour like in the battle of Pozzuolo del Friuli where the 2nd Cavalry Brigade with "Genova" and "Novara" regiments blocked the enemy advance toward the Piave river.
After the peace ordinance the regiments were reduced to 16 (1919) and then to 12 (1920).
In the post-war, in 1930, the regiments became components of the fast divisions. The use of a mechanical element instead of the horse led up to the constitution of the first "Fast Tanks Group" in 1934.
In June 1940 the fast divisions were three and the cavalry regiments 13, before becoming 16. They also showed their valour in Russia, in the Balkans and on 8th September 1943 in Rome.
All the Cavalry units have been dissolved with the Armistice; in the War of Liberation train units and a cavalry squadron of the 9th assault Unit, a component of the "Legnano" Combat Group, operated.
In 1946 some Exploring Groups were constituted and then transformed in Armoured Cavalry Regiments, units that on 4th November 1958 retook the ancient names. By Decree of 23rd March 1982 the War Flag was entrusted to the Cavalry School.
By Ministerial Decree of 1st June 1999, the Cavalry was reorganized and assumed the Aviation of the Army along with the Tank Infantry, taking the name of Air Cavalry and Tank Drivers Specialty of the Cavalry; the units already present became Line Cavalry. By the Law n. 276 of 2nd August 1999, the Cavalry and its regiments adopted the Standard replacing the War Flag.
The measure relating to the Air Cavalry lapsed on 3rd November 2003 when the Air Cavalry merged into the new Aviation of the Army, an Armed Force Specialty.