At the end of the First World War a new Infantry Specialty was constituted, using a combat vehicle; on 1st September 1918 an Armoured Combat Vehicles Special Section was formed with the name of "Special Unit of marching assault tanks".
With some changes, the Armoured Tanks Training Centre was instituted like the Armoured Tanks Regiment in 1927. The Specialty developed and on 15th September 1936 the first four Tank Infantry Regiments (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th) appeared, becoming five in 1937 and six in 1938.
During the Second World War seven armoured divisions were formed to integrated in them nine tank infantry regiments; there were also several independent battalions equipped with light and medium tanks that operated in the fast motorized units.
In the post-war two divisions were constituted including the first tank drivers regiments that were formed with the battalions of the armoured infantry.
By Ministerial Decree of 1st June 1999 the tank drivers became a Cavalry Specialty and the Standards substituted the Flags of the regiments.
At present there are 6 and their Flags are awarded with 3 Gold Medals, 1 Silver Medals and 2 Bronze Medals to the Military Valour, 1 Silver Medal and 2 Bronze Medals to the Army Valour.
October - Anniversary of the Specialty constitution (1927)