The Army Aviation originated from the first war flights in Libya in 1911-1912, during the First World War. Those activities identify with the birth of the Air Force. The continuity of tradition is represented by the Army personnel destined to missions of Aerial Observation until the constitution of the first units of the Army Light Aviation. In May 1951 the Artillery Air Unit was founded at the Artillery School, for the aerial observation of the shot, units control, emergency transports and connections between land units. Transformed into Aerial Observation Training Centre for Artillery in 1952, in 1954 it constituted the first Light Aircrafts Sections substituted in 1956 by the Light Aviation Units including helicopters squadrons.
On 1st June 1957 the Centre became Army Light Aviation Training Centre and it was moved to Viterbo. Later the Army Light Aviation extended its tasks to the tactical and logistic transport by helicopter; since 1970 it provided to the air units helicopters for transport and with weapons in order to ensure support the operational units. It also performed rescue operations and collaboration to the civilian population, especially in case of natural disasters.
In May 1971 the blue beret was adopted and in 1976 the Army Light Aviation Groups were formed and gathered in several squadrons groups. After the operational units have been transformed into regiments, since 12th June 1993 it was officially named Army Aviation.
At present there are 5 operational regiments, a training centre and 4 support regiments.
By Ministerial Decree of 1st June 1999, the Army Aviation became a Specialty of the Cavalry named "Air Cavalry". In 1999 the War Flags of the Centre and the regiments were substituted by the Standard.
Since 3rd November 2003 the Air Cavalry became part of the new Army Aviation, specialty of the Armed Force.
May - Anniversary of the constitution of the first units of the Army Light Aviation (1951).
PATRON SAINT: Madonna di Loreto (10th