Italy participates to the international mission with a contingent of about 1.100 soldiers. Nationally the operation is called "Leonte".
Since 27th April 2017, the Brigadier General of the Army Francesco OLLA is the UNIFIL Sector West Commander (United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon – SW) and the Italian Joint Task Force Commander in Lebanon (JTF-L), mainly composed by
“Grenadiers of Sardinia” Mechanized Brigade located in Rome.
In detail, in the Task Force there are the following national assets:
- the UNIFIL Sector West Command (SW), located in the "Millevoi" barracks in Shama;
- The Administrative Centre of Stewardship (C.A.I.), located in the base of Shama. Its Director is Colonel Roberto GRECO: according to the aims established by the contingent Commander, it manages and coordinates the logistic-administrative activities. In particular it exercises the spending authority within the limits of the funds for the realization of each programme; it has also got the function of Commander of the direct logistic-administrative organism;
- a maneuvring Task Force (ITALBATT), located in the base of "Al Mansouri". Headed by Colonel Massimo Crocco Barisano Colizza, it is based on the
8th "Lancers of Montebello" Regiment located in Rome, with assets from its Squadrons Group, and the 1st "Assietta" Battalion of the
1st "Grenadiers of Sardinia" Regiment. Along with the Battle Groups of the other Countries, ITALBATT contributes to monitor the Blue Line and the territory to the South of the Litani river, supporting the Lebanese Armed Forces. ITALBATT assets have got armoured vehicles, VTLM Lince (Light Tactical Multirole Vehicle) and wheeled tank destroyer Centaurus;
- a Combat Service Support Battalion (CSS BN), located in the base of Shama. Headed by Colonel Santo Saitta, it is based on the
"Aosta" Logistic Regiment of Palermo. The CSS BN guarantees the logistic support to the Sector West through its components: transports, provisions, maintenance, health assets, disinfection nucleus and NBC specialists;
- a Combat Support Battalion (CS BN), located in the base of Shama. Headed by Lieutenant Colonel Massimiliano Berni, it guarantees a direct support to the western sector through technical-specialist units provided by the 11th Sappers Engineer Regiment of Foggia, the 2nd Signals Regiment of Bolzano and the "Grenadiers of Sardinia" Command and Tactical Supports Unit of Rome;
- a Sector Mobile Reserve unit (SMR), deployed in the base of Shama; it is composed of an exploring squadron of the 8th "Lancieri di Montebello" Regiment of Rome, headed by Captain Giancarlo Giacomozzi, that has got VTLM Lince (Light Tactical Multirole Vehicles) and Centaurus Wheeled Tanks.
Moreover, in the National Contingent there is also a component of the Military Police of the Carabinieri Corps, located in the barracks of Shama.
Some units of Armenia, Brunei, Finland, Estonia, Ghana, Georgia, Ireland, Malesia, Republic of Korea, Slovenia, Tanzania and Serbia operate in the Sector West.
The air force component of the Army ("ITALAIR" Task Force) is based on the
2nd "Sirio" AVES Regiment of Lamezia Terme, led by Colonel Giuliano Innecco, and it is located in Naqoura,at the dependencies of the UNIFIL Commander. It has got AB-212 helicopters for medical evacuation, patrols, research, first aid and connection tasks.
The JMOU national asset is at the direct dependencies of the National Contingent Commander in Naquora.
Among the assets present in Naqoura there is also the Military Community Outreach Unit (MCOU), led by the 28th "Pavia" Operational Communication Regiment.