Italy has provided its support to NATO and the Afghan Republic for all 2016. In that context, the Train Advise Assist Command West (TAAC-W) performs activities of training, assistance and consultation in favour of local Security Forces and Institutions in the western part of the Region.
The Italian personnel in Afghanistan is composed of about 950 soldiers, divided into personnel located in Kabul (50 units) and Italian military contingent (900 soldiers) deployed in Heart at the TAAC-W.
The personnel in the area of Kabul belongs to the four Armed Forces and it performs staff duties at the Resolute Support Command (RS) and the Special Operation Force Command (RS SOF HQ), but it has also got support functions at ITALFOR in Kabul.
The military personnel operating in the High Commands of the RS Mission guarantees the functionality of the Command and Control in a multinational context as well as the support to Ministries, Afghan Training Commands and Schools located in the capital.
The Senior National Representative (IT-SNR) is the Major General Rosario Castellano who has also been appointed DCOM CO (Deputy Commander Civil Outreach) of the RS Mission in Afghanistan, based in Kabul.
The National Contingent Commander (NCC) in Herat, that is also the TAAC-W Commander, is Brigadier General Massimo Biagini. At the dependencies of the TAAC-W Commander there are the "Role 2" medical field asset, the Force Protection units, the Logistic Support and the "Training Advising and Assistance" Support.
The Italian Area of Responsibility where the TAAC-W operates is a wide region in the western Afghanistan (it is as wide as Northern Italy) that includes the four provinces of Herat, Badghis, Ghowr and Farah.
The main component of the national Forces is now composed of military personnel from the
"Taurinense" Brigade of the Italian Army; there is also an important contribution of soldiers and vehicles from the Military Air Force and the Carabinieri Corps.
In the TAAC-West there are also the following national assets:
- Task Force ARENA led by Colonel Enrico Fontana, representing the maneuvre force and the logistic Command in Heart and operating in the TAAC-W area of responsibility, based on the 2nd Cuneo Alpines Regiment:
- IMC (Infrastructure Management Centre) responsible for the technical/planning, executive and administrative activities and supported by an Officer, that is planner/Director of the works and Security Coordinator, and by two Non-Commissioned Officers responsible for the infrastructures;
- JMOU (Joint Multimodal Operation Unit) composed of personnel from the Air Force and the Army; it has to manage personnel and materials in transit from APOE/APOD in Heart and it includes a Passenger Nucleus, a Cargo Nucleus and an RSOM (Reception Staging Onward Movement) joint forces cell with Air Force personnel;
- The Force Protection Task Group, based on the "Saluzzo" Alpines Battalion led by Lieutenant Colonel Giuseppe Sgueglia, with:
- a riflemen company (Alpha Coy) based on the 21st Alpines Company charged with defense base and gate checks;
- a rifleman company (Bravo Coy) based on the 22nd Alpines Company and charged with internal patrols and flight line security, security patrols, landing path security and Quick Reaction Force; it also includes an UAV component and the JTAC asset;
- an Engineer company (Charlie Coy) based on the 32nd Sappers Engineer Regiment, composed of engineer assets specialized in managing the threat of explosives and mines and supported by dog units from the "Veterinarian Military Centre" of Grosseto;
- the Close Protection Team of the TAAC-W Commander.
- The Forward Support Base (FSB) is the joint forces national component based on the "Taurinense" Logistic Regiment that handles the management and logistic aspects on the national level; at its dependencies there are:
- the C4 Company, a joint forces unit that ensures the main communication of the Command and Control of all the Italian units. Now it is composed of personnel from the 11th Signal Regiment, the 33rd EW Regiment and specialist assets of the Military Air Force.
- a Medical Contingent Command including the medical assets of the TAAC-West; a first aid and an infirmary (ROLE2 - Medical Platoon), disinfectors, veterinarian, pharmacist nucleus and MEDEVAC.
- a TRAMAT Platoon with a laboratory, a Rescue and Transports team, a fuel depository, a weapon laboratory and an artificers team.
- The NCB, CFI and VTV teams.
- Mobile Medical Team, composed of Medical Officers;
Other assets are:
- Military Advisory Team / Regional Corps Battle School (MAT / RCBS), composed by soldiers from different units of the Italian Army, with functions of "advisor" in the training and assistance of the Afghan Army;
- The Operations Coordination Centre-Regional Advisor Team (OCC-R AT), one of the assistance element to the ANSF operating as Security Force Assistance in the same way of the MAT and PAT (Military / Police Advisory Team) assets of the TAAC-West; it has got an important role in carrying out the transition plan that aims to give independency and self-sufficiency to the Afghan Security Forces;
- The Task Force Fenice, led by Lieutenant Colonel Fabio Canteri and based on the 7th "Vega" Army Aviation Regiment of Rimini, the unit of the Army Aviation that manages the helicopters deployed in the Operational Theatre: the NH90 helicopters, designated for the transport of staff and supplies, and the A129 D "Mangusta" designated to the exploration and the support of the territorial forces.