For Afghanistan the participation of 2.250 Italian soldiers was authorized. The military staff of the four Armed Forces was deployed in the areas of Kabul and Herat.
The Senior National Representative (IT-SNR) was the Major general Antonio Satta that since 31st January had also been the Deputy Commander of the Isaf Joint Command of the NATO Mission in Afghanistan. The National Contingent Commander (NCC) in Herat was the Regional Command West Commander.
The Italian military staff in the area of Kabul had tasks at the headquarters of ISAF. Since 18th February 2014 the National Contingent in Herat was headed by the Brigadier General Manlio Scopigno that, in Italy, was the "Sassari" Brigade Commander.
The Regional Command West (RC-W), the area under Italian responsibility, is a wide region of the western Afghanistan (as wide as Northern Italy) and it extends on the four provinces of Herat, Badghis, Ghowr and Farah.
The main component of the national Forces was composed by the staff from the "Sassari" Brigade of the Italian Army; there was also a great contribution by the Navy, the Air Force and the Carabinieri Corp.
In the RC-West there were the following national assets:
- the Manoeuvre Forces, composed by the 152nd "Sassari" Infantry Regiment (Transition Support Unit) with the base in Herat, headed by Colonel Nicola Piccolo. Among the units available to the Regional Command West there was also a platoon of the 152nd infantry regiment "Sassari", a platoon of the 3rd Bersaglieri Regiment of Teulada, a platoon of the 66thregiment "Trieste" and a platoon VBM "Freccia" of the 9th infantry regiment "Bari".
- PRT-CIMIC Detachment: on 25th March 2014 the Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) of Herat, the civil and military component of the Italian contingent of ISAF, concluded its mandate. Its task was to support the governance and the reconstruction process; in 9 years the PRT realized 1.288 projects, increasing the local employment, the economic development of the area and the trust in the local political institutions as well as the "elders".
- ITALFOR, headed by Colonel Giuseppe Lucarelli; it was the inter-force national component that handled management and logistic aspects at the national level. ITALFOR was composed by the manoeuvre logistic battalion, the Infrastructure Management Center, the Joint Multimodal Operation Unit and the Reception Staging Onward Movement that had to coordinate and supervise the operation ITACA 2.
- Task Force Fenice, by the 7th regiment AVES "Vega" of Viterbo, headed by Colonel Giuseppe Potenza; it was the Air Force of the Army that managed the CH 47 "Chinook" and NH90 helicopters, for the transport of staff and refuelling, and the A129 C "Mangusta" helicopters for the exploration and support to the land forces.
- Military Advisor Team (MAT), headed by Colonel Marco Avaro: its staff was from the 2nd Defence Operational Forces and it operated as advisors in the training, the assistance and the operations.
- Forward Support Base (FSB) was a unit that had to manage the base and the airport sector in Herat, as well as the security guaranteed by a multinational Force Protection.
- The Operations Coordination Centre Advisor Team, headed by Colonel Gian Pietro Marrone, was one of the element for the military assistance that belonged to the Security Force Assistance (where there were also the MAT, PAT and RC WEST assets); it was important for the realization of a transition plan that aimed to make the Afghan security forces independent and self-sufficient.
- Engineer Task Force, headed by Lieutenant Colonel Stefano Messina, on the basis of the 5th Engineer Regiment of Macomer (NU). The Task Force is composed by companies specialized in managing the threaten of the explosives and mines, with the support of dog units. Some components had to maintain also the viability of the ISAF Forces on the competency territory.
- Joint Task Force C4 (JTFC4) is the inter-force unit that had to guarantee the communication for the command control of all the Italian units that operated in the western Afghanistan. Headed by the Lieutenant Colonel Giovanni Di Giovanni, it was composed by the staff of the 7th signal regiment of Sacile (PN), the 33rd regiment of Treviso and specialist assets of the Air Force.
- Two medical assets at the RC-West: the Italian-led ROLE1 for the first aid and the Spanish-led ROLE2 as specialist hospital. All the national medical assets were at the dependencies of the Contingent Health Commander Lieutenant Colonel Fabio Bignami.