source: NRDC-ITA

Handing over between Lieutenant General Radford (cedant) and Lieutenant General Perretti (incoming).

The Chief Of The Army Attends The Handover Ceremony

​Solbiate Olona, 10 January 2018. Today, in the "Ugo Mara" Barracks, in presence of the Chief of the Army, Lieutenant General Danilo Errico, the Allied Joint Force Command (JFC) Brunssum Commander, Lieutenant General Salvatore Farina and the Allied Land Command Commander, Lieutenant General Darryl A. Williams, took place the ceremony which laid down the transfer of command of the Nato Response Force (NRF) Land Component between the Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC), commanded by Lieutenant General Tim Radford and Nato Rapid Deployable Corps – Italy (NRDC-ITA), commanded by Lieutenant General Roberto Perretti.


NRDC-ITA assumes for the fourth time the responsibility to lead the NRF Land Component Command after a long and complex training period, for over a year, with the Command involved in many and difficult training activities, aimed to complete the individual preparation of personnel and to test and refine the working procedures, before being certified "combat ready" with the exercise "Brilliant Ledger 2017" which, under the close supervision of a team of 40 expert military evaluators, involved at Solbiate Olona (VA) and Bellinzago Novarese (NO) more than 1000 soldiers from 15 nations of the Alliance and 85 units of the Italian Armed Forces.


NATO Response Force, established in 2002, is a complex of high readiness forces, technologically advanced and extremely trained, constituted by land, maritime, air, special forces and logistic support components, with personnel and assets provided in rotation by the member countries, in order to allow the Alliance to tackle promptly all the challenges to security, from collective defence to crisis management. Following the decisions taken in the Summit of Galles in 2014, NRF was enhanced with a very high readiness forces package, called Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF), extremely flexible and modular, capable of moving immediately. In its entirety, NRF is composed by about 40.000 men and women.


NATO Rapid Deployable Corps – Italy is a multinational Command located in Solbiate Olona (VA), under the Supreme Headquarters Allied Power Europe Commander. Italy is the leading nation and provides about 75 per cent of personnel. Soldiers represent remaining 25 per cent are from other twelve nations: Albania, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Greece, the Netherlands, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, U.K., U.S. and Hungary, for a total of about 400 men and women. In the near future, other four Nations, Canada, Latvia, Lithuania and Romania will join the Command, bringing the total number of contributing countries to seventeen.

share: