The Bersaglieri Corps was officially instituted on 18thJune 1836 even if its baptism by fire was on 8th April1848 in the battle of Goito, during the First War of Independence.
Since then the battle of Cernaia and so the 20th September 1870 when the attack columns of the Royal Italian Army, headed by the Bersaglieri, burst through the Breccia di Porta Pia and overwhelmed the Papal Zouaves.
The founder of the Museum was the Inspector of the BersaglieriEdoardoTestafochi; the collection of the relics was continued by his successor, General Bruti, until 1895 when the Inspectorate was abolished.
The reorganization of the relics was carrying on by the 3rd Regiment Commander, Colonel Butturini, from 1902 to 1907.
The Historical Museum of Bersaglieri was inaugurated by the King Vittorio Emanuele III on 18th June 1904 at the Barracks "La Marmora" in Trastevere. After its recognition by Royal Decree of 16th May 1909, it had the honour of guarding the decorations to the collective valor awarded by the Bersaglieri units.
In addition to the relics collected by the regiments there are those of the Mutual Aid Society between Bersaglieri, the first nucleus of the Army Association inaugurated in 1925.
The Museum, became moral Institution by the Royal Decree of 27th December 1921, was moved to the building in Porta Pia for the idea of the Extraordinary Commissioner General Martinengo of Villagana.