The origin of this item in the uniform of the Officers dates back to 1366 when the "Green Count" Amadeus VI of Savoy decided that, near the red-cross banner in silver of the Savoy, a big blue flag had to be deployed on his flagship, in honor of the Holy Virgin. Since then the Officers have been wearing a blue band or scarf on their waist. In 1572 Emanuele Filiberto Duke of Savoy made that custom compulsory for all the Officers. During the centuries, through several modifications, it became the main Officer rank insignia. During the reign of Carlo Emanuele II, on 24th February 1750 the Regulation established that the scarf had to have blue and gold stripes, with two gold bows at its extremities, a gold central stripe and a bow that became smaller according to the ranks. In 1775 Vittorio Amedeo III changed the scarf for the Lieutenant Colonels and the Majors, dividing it in identical stripes among which the central stripe had to be lined in blue, while for the inferior Officers there were some differences according to the rank. During the reign of Vittorio Emanuele I, the Regulation of 8th November 1814 established that the scarf had to be yellow with small blue spots in parallel lines, remaining unchanged for the General Officers. On 25th June 1833 it was established that the band hat to be worn around the waist with the bow on the left, while the General Army Officers as well as the Aides-de-camp and the Officers employed in the divisions had to wear it over the shoulders from the right to the left. Since 4th March 1843 the band had to be worn rolled around the waist to not hide the belt. On 25th August 1848 it was prescribed that the turquoise became the colour for all the ranks, except the bowl. It was worn from the right shoulder to the left side while the General Staff Officers and the Aides-de camp had to wear it in the opposite way. On 9th October 1850 the blue band became definitely a badge of service, the same for all the ranks, in turquoise woven with turquoise bowls. The two extremities of the band were joined by a cylindrical loop in turquoise woven. So the blue band, with an ancient origin, is still today a distinctive symbol of the Italian Armed Forces Officers.